Turning 4-tee. Yuck.
So the events leading up to my birthday that gave me a pit in my stomach about turning 40 started like this: Will and I were out with my family celebrating my baby sis Holly's birthday and then all the girls were going to go to a movie. We had a little time to kill before the movie started so I went to a store with Lezlee and Holly.
I was so proud of myself for finding some awesome jeans for Will on super sale and while I was buying them the cashier lady asked me if that cute, blond, pregnant girl was my DAUGHTER!!!
Lezlee, I know you won't want me to tell your age even though I was in high school when you were born, but I'll just say that she is over 25 and this is her third pregnancy...I should be totally flattered, but instead of laughing...I started to cry.
My DAUGHTER???
So I bought $150 worth of wrinkle creams and dark spot remover creams the next day.
That was the beginning (okay, I've always been this way) of the self-conscious, I look so old and I don't have anything else to offer the world. I'm old and unimportant.
I do realize that 40 is still very young...I remember my mom being 40 and she had super high stiletto heels with a peek-a-boo-toe and straps that wrapped up her ankle and we would put them on and pose in front of her full length mirror in her bathroom.
Super HOT!
I'm pretty sure my kids don't think the sensible shoes in my closet are super hot!
All that aside...I had a wonderful trip to South Korea with Will the week before my birthday and we gained 12 hours on our flight back...so I basically had an extra day in my 30's. I'll take that extra day, thank you very much!
When Will's around, he spoils me on my birthday. It was on a Sunday, which never makes for a fun
birthday because church takes up a big chunk...(just being honest!!) and we scheduled an appointment for Jay with my dad who is a Stake Patriarch. It turned out to be a really special day.
So after church and visiting with my parents, there wasn't much time for dinner and, honestly I can't even remember what Will made me for dinner. He did, however, make me the best cake. Lemon. Yum. And as is fitting for my 40th birthday...it fell apart and had a huge gash in it.
Holly also got me a cake...lemon...yum...from the cupcake shop my niece Ashley works in.
I confess. Will and I had been awake for over 24 hours, been traveling for half of that and my $150 worth of creams couldn't fix that amount of wrinkle...so I may have edited the dark circles and bags from underneath my eyes...but I decided that turning 40 deserved a photo memory.
I think the last time all 6 of us had our picture taken together was, seriously, 18 years ago when Ashley was 2! Don't we look so much wiser now?
And a few other memories of the beautiful day because I'm sure you're tired of reading the number 40 an seeing the word OLD, right?!
Luke hurt his finger, and I asked him if taking a picture would make it feel better...then Cole wanted to show me his sad face too.
And this awesome man made my gash-of-a-birthday good enough that I didn't mind waking up the next morning as a full fledged 40 year old!












3 comments:
Happy late birthday! I'm glad overall it was a good birthday.
Happy Birthday! You look fabulous (as always)!
Last night Ainsley growled at some fat guy, who then said, "I bet you like to scare Grandma too!". I just raised my eyebrows, and then he said, "Or mom... or whoever".
It isn't hard to believe that beautiful, skinny, young Lezlee could be the fruit of your loin- IF she were 10 years younger.
I'm glad your day was wonderful. I hope someone got you a pair of peep toe stilletos & a full length mirror so you can see what a gorgeous girl you are!
Post a Comment