I've really slacked on taking pictures in my yard...the weeds depress me...
I love this little spunky dog so much...he puts up with so much around here. He came in the house yesterday and was covered in mud...again...another ferel cat on the loose that he was determined to catch or at least deafen by barking uncontrollably. So he got a.n.o.t.h.e.r bath, and was then dressed in his halloween bandana. I imagine his eyes rolling when we dress him. It's SO not his personality. But he doesn't complain. And being carried around like a baby over the shoulder...he's adapted to it.
My dad, Will and I have been renovating one of my dad's apartments (huge, HUGE headache) and we were at the apartment late one night last week and we were in the carport and we kept smelling this burnt rubber/car brakes smell. There's a motion sensor light in the carport and the smell would get worse when the light turned on. We looked up and saw this little nest.
Sad to say...this poor little swallow built it's sweet little feather and hair lined nest on a motion sensor light with a heat lamp lightbulb (who did that???) So everytime the light turned on this summer...it cooked the little chicks in the eggs. But it left us with a rare find of teeny tiny swallow eggs. My dad was thrILLed! They're about the size of a thumb nail. Tiny. And I love all the things the birds found to build the nest, although it does make me think twice about having it in my house right now. Where DID all that long hair come from??????
We also are bee keepers too! Not productive bees, bees of the stinging variety...but still. That is a lot of bee spit!! Ryan, remember when Treven was climbing the tree and bees started to swarm??? Ta DA!!!
Only I could grow spider webs---in a spider web! The spiders outnumber us here 1000 to 1!!
This is my favorite time of year. I love the smells, the colors, the crunchy sounds of the dried leaves, the death of the mosquito population and the coziness that the weather brings along with the lower electric bill. Oh and crock pot dinners and being able to use my oven again without combating the heat with the airconditioner at the same time! I'm so excited to use my mink blanket I got in Korea too. I wish I had more room in my luggage to bring back one for all of us!
Will and I are going to take a drive to see the fall colors on the Alpine Loop later today in my dad's convertible MG. Can't wait. I think it's going to be the last warmish day until next year.
Maybe I'll take pictures! ;)







2 comments:
I love that we all know what our dad loves! When I read about the bird's nest I totally "got it." Those are treasures to him for sure!
BEAUTIFUL! I don't know if I love the nest, or just the amazing pictures you took of it. You captured fall so well. I think you should frame one of your pictures of that nest for your dad for Christmas!
Post a Comment