Thursday, December 10, 2009

Some Happenings that...happened!

Since this past January, which was about the time when Will came home from Afghanistan...I can't believe it's already been a year, the main road to the most important shopping center here in town (my direct link to the big "W" store) has been shut down. Completely shut down. A new bridge was built over some railroad tracks (hooray! I hated getting stuck waiting for those trains) and an old bridge was re-built and widened. So in order to get to the store where spending less than $100 at a time is unheard of, I had to drive down old country roads with big bumps and two more sets of railroad tracks along with thousands of other people. I would like to say that it slowed my spending at said store...but I don't think it did. It only took a little more thinking time about which road I was going to take to get to the other road that led to THE road that took me to the store. I'm a stressed driver.

So as I was saying...since Jan. 09, this road has been closed for MAJOR reno and widening. Well...just before Thanksgiving they opened it back up. Since my dad is on the City Council, they had a big opening ceremony and celebratory procession down the finished bridges and street! They had fire trucks and police cars and car after car after car of people with kids on their laps...following the police officers...blowing air horns and honking their horns and waving and celebrating!

Yeah, getting to "W" more easily is a MAJOR deal here in our little 'Ville'.

I left work and walked up onto one of the bridges to take pictures - this is when I was still in possession of my sis's camera - and took a few pictures of my dad making his celebratory ride on the newly opened street! He decided to take his Ford Model-A...can't remember which year...in honor of this traffic stopping - literally - event!.

There was a little 'opening ceremony' at the top of the new bridge which seemed to take a while, so I took a few pictures while I was waiting. It was a very mirky day. One of those lovely Utah inversions!

The Provo Temple...about 10 miles away. And then...

the road opening parade began! A parade without the candy, so maybe it was more like a procession...because there MUST be candy in a parade!



I wonder if people thought I was important...like I was covering the road opening for some newspaper or important magazine or something ;) In my high school graduation picture I think I look like a news anchor...with really big hair. I kept looking for my dad in his car and couldn't see him until he was almost right in front of me. I thought he had decided not to take his Model-A, but here he came...


My dad is a car fanatic. An old, classic car fanatic. From this Model A to his silver anniversary 1975 Corvette (which he bought, sold, bought the same exact car again, and then sold again...I got to drive it once, Ryan...na na na na na na!!!). And ever since I can remember, my dad has had pieces of old cars in his garage. We used to play in the partially built car when we were little kids...until I saw a mouse run through it, and then I never went near it again! It was a hobby he always wanted to get around to, but never did because he's a work-a-holic! So instead of building the cars himself, he just ended up buying one all put together!

It has an awesome horn and everything.


So my dad and Phil B., who is also on city council with him, took a stroll down the road that I like to call...the pathway to Walmart!
the end.

3 comments:

Julie Broadbent said...

Got to love WallyWorld!

Graciesmom said...

SO glad the road is re-opened!
Love the pics :)

Christensen Kids said...

That is so exciting. I was looking forward to it reopening then we moved *sigh* well 'tis life.
oh- and no matter what you say YOU look great in the pictures as well as the rest of your fam! They are all growing so big (and handsome, and pretty)!!