Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Emma

Must. Stop. Time. From. Moving. So. Quickly!
 It boggles my mind to think that my baby girl --- she doesn't like being called that --- is 8 years old!
Emma has been a delight from the day she was born.  Well...I might be forgetting a few instances here and there where she hasn't been perfect, but when I think of Emma, I think of her sound effects, her big smile, her quick, witty sense of humor and her ability to stay true to herself.

She knows what she wants and she'll either work to get it, or pester me until she gets it!  Emma is not a half-way kind of girl.  She does things all the way or not at all.  And if it's not to her exact specifications...she's done with it!  Which can be so annoying with her homework and it also explains why I usually go through about a ream of paper every month because Emma has to get that picture she is drawing - juuuust right!

 Emma wanted to get a white dress for her baptism which is coming up next month.  I couldn't pick the dress out for her, SHE had to pick it out.  Which makes sense because everything I chose for her to wear, she'll only wear as pajamas.
In the quest for Emma's white dress, she found this red one...and a grey one...and a few others that made her forget entirely about that special white dress she was hoping and looking for.

As long as the baptism is done in white...I don't think it matters.  And I figure if I'm going to spend that much on a dress, it might as well be one that she'll want to wear more than once...and hopefully less than every week to church.  I always feel like a horrible mother when my kids wear the same Sunday clothes e.v.e.r.y. week.  Does anyone even keep track?   Besides me?



I have a recorded message on my phone from Emma, who was worried about me, her not-so-functional-mom, who had left the house in tears of frustration, and had gone to a friends' house to re-group.  I can't bring myself to erase it.  How often do your kids call to ask if you're OK and then have a spaghetti dinner done in fine dining fashion, ready for when you've re-couped your sanity?

I'm a lucky mom---that I know.



This milestone in our family of Emma turning 8 is a big one.  Not only do I feel the wrinkles and the sagging more than ever, but I'm thrilled that our family has made it to what and who it is.  Does that make sense?  This kind of marks the end of childhood in our home.  Emma, being the baby in the family, will probably not be treated the same as would the first or second or third...she'll always be my baby but she's the one who's grown up the fastest because she's had so much grown up around her.

Since there's a four year gap between Lauren and Emma, I've had more one-on-one time to spend with her too.  She's been my buddy and my shopping companion and my entertainment for so long.  She likes the same foods as me and likes to watch the same shows --- although, my favorite show is NOT Billy the Exterminator...hers is, which I think is hilarious!

Love you, baby girl!

2 comments:

Jason and Britney said...

Beautiful pictures of Beautiful Emma.

PS, I keep track of Sunday clothes- but only for my own kids. I just realized I never have enough time or extra mental space to remember what anyone elses kids wore last week. Maybe no one else remembers what my kids wore either, hopefully.

Jan said...

I love the dress!!! (And I really hope that nobody counts the number of weeks in a row that my kids wear the same dress, I think Allie wore her baptism for 2 months straight!!!!)

I too have always loved Emma. I loved working with her in Primary and her sweet and fun personality!!Congratulations Emma!!!