Thursday, November 11, 2010

Why we celebrate on November 11th



I asked Will what he thought when people told him "thank you" for serving our country.  He doesn't think that he has earned a "thank you".

What?

I can kind of understand why he feels that way...just because I know Will and the way his brain works---sometimes.  He knows that there have been, and are currently, so many other soldiers who have sacrificed so much more...everything, in fact...for our country.  He knows what he experienced on his deployment can't compare with what some other soldiers' have experienced.

That doesn't make me think any less of the combat action badge he wears on his uniform. 

Will is very humble.  Yet stubborn and proud.  He doesn't like attention and accolades for his service.  He wouldn't even go to Applebees today for a free lunch!  I wouldn't have gone either, but...still.  And he always tries to flip it to make it sound like I was the one who sacrificed.

I recall a lot of doing whatever I wanted without  the threat of being shot, while he was gone.  Piece of cake! I can say that now...

Am I now, or have I ever given Will's service too much attention?  :/
Maybe just a little...in a lot sort of way!

He's my hero.  Can I ever say that enough?

Nope!

I love you Will!

Thank you! And may I add a kiss to that?!!!

In 1918, on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day in the eleventh month, the world rejoiced and
celebrated. After four years of bitter war, an armistice was signed. World War I, the “war to end all
wars” was over.

November 11, 1919 was set aside as Armistice Day in the United States, to remember the
sacrifices that men and women made during World War I in order to ensure a lasting peace. On
Armistice Day, soldiers who survived the war marched in a parade through their home towns.
Politicians and veteran officers gave speeches and held ceremonies of thanks for the peace they had
won.

Congress voted Armistice Day a federal holiday in 1938, 20 years after the war ended. But
Americans realized that the previous war would not be the last one. World War II began the
following year and nations great and small again participated in a bloody struggle. After the Second
World War, Armistice Day continued to be observed on November 11.

In 1953 townspeople in Emporia, Kansas called the holiday Veterans’ Day in gratitude to the
veterans in their town. Soon after, Congress passed a bill introduced by a Kansas congressman
renaming the federal holiday to Veterans’ Day. 1971 President Nixon declared it a federal holiday
on the second Monday in November.

Americans still give thanks for peace on Veterans’ Day. There are ceremonies and speeches and at
11:00 in the morning, most Americans observe a moment of silence, remembering those who fought
for peace.

2 comments:

Christensen Kids said...

I admire Will and those who serve! And to their wonderful families who support them while they're gone. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

You are all Heros to me! I can't sleep when my hubby travels for work, even when I am pretty sure that he isn't going to be shot at. How did you sleep alone for so many nights? That is heroic!

Thanks Will! I appreciate you being willing to give your all to protect not only our country and it's citizens, but all injustice in the world!

This is from Britney (I haven't been on here in so long I forgot my password.)