Hi!
Just a few pictures as snapshots in a day in the life at FOB Army Strong, Fort Riley. One picture is of Bruce (CPT Roberts) and me in a communications class where we learned the specifics of managing frequencies and other radio functions so that we can communicate without the bad guys being able to hear. We spend A LOT of time in classrooms like this. I feel bad for you kids that have to do this day after day! Instruction here is typically boring. I'm feeling like I did at about week six at the MTC...Get me out of here! Need sunlight and fresh air! Another picture is of a couple other guys on my team at the M4 (rifle) range...a very cold and LONG day. We started early and then had to wait for the sun to go down so that we could qualify at night with our night vision and laser devices. I have a huge guilt complex admitting to all this fun while you make up for my undone share at home. The last picture is of me inspecting my equipment before moving out on a convoy. I felt kinda like Frank Burns when I noticed my lens caps were still on my M68 (Aimpoint 'scope')...hard to see through it with those on! I'm doing my best here. I'm learning a lot and I have a lot more to learn. Time is very short for preparation. I don't know if I'll ever feel 'ready'...its one of those things, you know. READY OR NOT...HERE GOES. I am confident in my abilities and blessings and in your prayers. There are so many who suffer where I'm going. I'm proud to be here doing what I'm doing. I'm proud of my heros at home: Julie, Jay, Katie, Lauren and little Emma with family and friends. I know it will be hard to see the fruits of your sacrifice but they will be very real. 'What a wonderful thing to offer a people who aren't so much worried about the price of gasoline or homework deadlines but about where their next meal will come from; whether they will be able to keep their kids warm enough to make it through the night; whether they will be a victim of Taliban violence. These will be our people in six weeks. It is for them that we sacrifice and for the least of these that it might be said of us that we 'did it unto Him'. I promise I will do all I can to honor your sacrifice and that they know of your love and prayers for them. As He died to make men holy let us live to make men free! We'll have a chance to talk a bit about this just before I go (in only four weeks!). Keep planning for those days. Whatever you guys want to do! Lets do it!
Love,
Will / Dad
Just a few pictures as snapshots in a day in the life at FOB Army Strong, Fort Riley. One picture is of Bruce (CPT Roberts) and me in a communications class where we learned the specifics of managing frequencies and other radio functions so that we can communicate without the bad guys being able to hear. We spend A LOT of time in classrooms like this. I feel bad for you kids that have to do this day after day! Instruction here is typically boring. I'm feeling like I did at about week six at the MTC...Get me out of here! Need sunlight and fresh air! Another picture is of a couple other guys on my team at the M4 (rifle) range...a very cold and LONG day. We started early and then had to wait for the sun to go down so that we could qualify at night with our night vision and laser devices. I have a huge guilt complex admitting to all this fun while you make up for my undone share at home. The last picture is of me inspecting my equipment before moving out on a convoy. I felt kinda like Frank Burns when I noticed my lens caps were still on my M68 (Aimpoint 'scope')...hard to see through it with those on! I'm doing my best here. I'm learning a lot and I have a lot more to learn. Time is very short for preparation. I don't know if I'll ever feel 'ready'...its one of those things, you know. READY OR NOT...HERE GOES. I am confident in my abilities and blessings and in your prayers. There are so many who suffer where I'm going. I'm proud to be here doing what I'm doing. I'm proud of my heros at home: Julie, Jay, Katie, Lauren and little Emma with family and friends. I know it will be hard to see the fruits of your sacrifice but they will be very real. 'What a wonderful thing to offer a people who aren't so much worried about the price of gasoline or homework deadlines but about where their next meal will come from; whether they will be able to keep their kids warm enough to make it through the night; whether they will be a victim of Taliban violence. These will be our people in six weeks. It is for them that we sacrifice and for the least of these that it might be said of us that we 'did it unto Him'. I promise I will do all I can to honor your sacrifice and that they know of your love and prayers for them. As He died to make men holy let us live to make men free! We'll have a chance to talk a bit about this just before I go (in only four weeks!). Keep planning for those days. Whatever you guys want to do! Lets do it!
Love,
Will / Dad
(Julie's decoding service here! FOB is Forward Operating Base - another army acronym! There are just a few!)
No comments:
Post a Comment