Thursday, March 17, 2011

Practice

One more week until Spring.  

I think I can make it.  It's been a long winter of blahs, over-indulging in foods that are too comforting, and too many desires to just wrap up in a blanket and sleep all day.  I know winter needs to come to an end when an advertisement comes on TV for anti-depressant drugs and Will slowly turns and looks at me.

What?  Why are you looking at me?

It's time for some good ole vitamin D...straight from the sun!



I've been taking a couple photography classes for the past couple of months and I'm learning how to use my camera on non-auto settings.  Step away from the auto setting!!!  I think it's especially difficult when there's no natural light to shoot any good pictures and almost everything around me is colorless.  The sun is my friend and I think that taking dark, colorless pictures is so unmotivating so I can't wait for light.  Color.  And maybe a new camera lens??

Maybe not.

My good friend, Susan and I decided to get some pictures of the sunset since she heard that it was going to be a colorful one.  One with a lot of radiation in it, I think.

So we drove---rather quickly, after spending too much time in one of my favorite stores -- to the waters edge of swampy Utah Lake to catch the sunset.  Even though Susan insisted that there were no mosquitoes out yet, I told her that just because I was there, there would be a special hatch.

Julie's here!  Time to eat!

Susan was right.  Not bites on me.  The frogs were almost deafening though! Deafening, but not visible, thank goodness!


Me and Emma had to watch a black hawk land before I turned my attention to the sunset.


Have I said before that anything military always gets my attention.  Especially when his name is Will and he's mine!  Emma waved and watched it circle the airport...she even saw a small plane land and I think that was the highlight of her evening.  








I like to practice taking pictures.  I just wish I didn't NEED to practice.  How come talent and perfection can't come naturally and without practice?  This summer is going to be a good practice session for me though.  We've got lots going on...lots of scenic travel planned and I can't wait to use what I have and will learn in my classes to help me take better pictures.

And then one mosquito said to the other mosquito..."CHEERS!!!"

3 comments:

Christensen Kids said...

k couple of things...your AWESOME at taking pictures, but practice is good. 2. I bought a new camera and can't wait to practice with mine. and 3. your pictures make me homesick for the mountains! oh and I guess 4. YAY for spring!!!

Graciesmom said...

Amazing pics. Where do you take your photography classes?? I have a Nikkon D90 that I need to figure out the "non-auto" settings on :)

The Olsons said...

Julie - you are amazing. You make things look amazing! I wish I would take more time to play around with photos. Where is your class at? I've taken a few classes some were good but most of them were lame. I think I learn the most when playing around but I need to take more time doing it. I love looking at all your photos.