First little warning...I'm going back in time. Again.
I have been sitting at my computer ALL DAY, and I mean ALL DAY! Proof...I did brush my teeth---didn't brush my hair---got 3/4 of the way dressed (and that's only because someone came to the door so I ran upstairs and put on the essentials)---ate one healthy meal---drank 2 diet cokes---and I happened to see almost everyone I know in my current state. Why not? I felt so self conscious that I kept rubbing under my eyes to make sure I didn't have makeup all the way to my nose, and I swear I could feel something in my teeth!
I finally got so overwhelmed with the mess on my desk that I thought I would attack it. All I ended up doing was going through all the pictures I've taken this month.
Only this month.
Second little warning...lots of pictures. From the beginning, we were in full swing (so clever) with softball.
Emma was just finishing up her intense, fun filled season (not)...just when we were finally getting to the point where we didn't need to wear a jacket and wrap up in a blanket at her games.
Lauren was starting her state tournament. We spent one game crossing our fingers and holding our breath that one of the girls wouldn't get struck by lightning as she's standing in an open field holding a metal bat--what's more important? Getting the tournament over with or a lightning fatality? Oh, wait! Did you mean to ask that? Of course, it's getting the tournament over with, silly!!
However, they did not have the girls continue playing when the torrential rains came. The bases were literally covered with water and we looked like a bunch of wind blown, drowned rats. Umbrella blown inside-out and everything.
Lauren and her teammates did a fantastic job and took second place in the tournament!
YAY WILDFIRE!!!
The two weeks of this tournament are always so hard to face. I hate leaving work early to go sit in the sun...in this years' case, the rain and lightning...on the most uncomfortable bleachers, and I never want them to win because I want it all to end. Then I get to the games and I change my mind. I do want them to win and do their best.
Needless to say, I did not cook dinner one night for those two weeks, but that's no different than what's normal.
Lauren's coaches are fantastic and are so good with the girls. Always positive and always trying to help the girls to learn.
Lauren had some great plays this season. She is quick on her feet and at times it seemed like she was a magnet, having all the softballs come right at her. She scooped the ball up, threw it to a base, or would catch a pop-fly, no problem. She even got to slide into home. SAFE! Sometimes she forgot to look and listen to her coach and would pay more attention to where the ball was. oops. It's a good thing she's fast! Usually nothing would happen when I had my camera out, so I just gave up on trying to take pictures during the game.
I used my camera bag more as a tote for my "distraction" candy.
Sadie and Lauren. Sadie lives around the corner from us and her dad is one of the coaches. Sadie did an awesome job and pitched in all the games---it's in her blood, her sister is a pitcher in college softball too.
Lauren is such a great athlete! I would get to her games and her face would already be hereditarily purple from being so hot, and she's drinking warm water from the fountain, not complaining, always hustling, and doing her best, always.
She told me before her first game that she was really nervous. I can only imagine. These little girls are super competitive...not to mention some of the super competitive parents! But Lauren has so much talent, and I told her that she didn't need to worry. All she needed to do and ever needs to do is her best. She did it! I'm so proud of her!
And then there was Emma. I had to drag her to the games and then I got to listen to her complain that she was bored and wanted to go home. Will always knows how to get a smile out of her though.
A scream and a smile.
And then some days, a couple of days, evenings when we don't have church stuff, or work stuff, or kid stuff, or family stuff, or yard stuff, we've been lucky enough to enjoy summer evenings like this...
My last warning that I need to be done was in the form of a a spider that just crawled between me and my keyboard...scurried past as I tried to kill it with a sharpie marker. It got away. And now I've got the heebie-jeebies wondering where it went.
























No comments:
Post a Comment