Ryan, when I finish the posts about our trip, what are you going to have to look forward to???
This first day in Wyoming was a day just to hang out. All the guys got up early and went golfing...our condos were right on the golf course, so at one point I walked out our back door and tried to wave to Will...he didn't see me and I didn't think it was proper golf etiquette to yell on the golf course.
Beautiful.
This picture explains why I never stopped sneezing the entire time we were there!
The kids were ready to go to the pool at 6:00am...it took a little longer for the mom's got get in the mood. We actually stuck all the kids in one condo to watch cartoons while all us women went to the town grocery store where we cleaned the store out of dishwasher detergent...apparently it's got some additive or something in it that gets the dishes cleaner, but isn't legal to sell in Utah.
The store clerk thought we were weird. Fruit, snacks, milk, lunch meat and 5 boxes of detergent.
Of course, on the way back we found the place to help us begin our day on the right foot. It's okay to have a diet coke before 10:00am on vacation, right? For me it is, anyway. I didn't take a picture of it, but it was at Rulon's Burger Barn...you know the olympic wrestling gold medalist guy on the Biggest Loser who left the ranch for "family reasons"...yeah, right. He's from Afton WY, too.
Then the kids finally got to go to the pool. Two of these kids are not like the others though.
The hot tub was the hot spot and on our last day, they had to refill it because literally half the water was gone out of it!
Luke grew fins on this trip.
The little goers. Poor Lilly couldn't eat anything all the rest of us were eating, so Beckie tricked her into carrying around this box with carrots in it...trying to share with everyone, but no one wanted carrots from a poptart box. Beckie has to get really clever with Lilly!
We were supposed to go to the Red Baron for Will's birthday dinner, but by the time we got to Afton, it was midnight and Jill says everything in Afton closes by 7pm...so we way missed it.
Jill and Steven talk about this place all the time.
Steven's recommendations...the foot long hot dog--ROYALE, and the Mt. Dew freeze (kind of like a Mt. Dew float...yum-my!!) Royale---said royaaaaale---is a yummy sauce they put over the hot dog.
It's a must!
He was in heaven. He was home, he was having his foot long Royale, golfing everyday, a little motorcycle/4-wheeler riding, rafting down the Snake River, and he had his family with him. Steven did a great job planning this trip. It's going to be hard to top it next year. Will and I might be kind of boring and go back to Lake Powell.
All the guys went on the mountain to ride 4 wheelers with a few of the kids and Steven rode his dirt bike, which Will said was like an extension of Steven's body. Will was in awe of how Steven zipped around rocks, trees, bushes...except for the one rock that launched him off his bike, and a rock which left a small (not) gash on the side of his head and probably a cracked rib...did you sleep with your hat on so that Jill wouldn't find out, Steven????
Again, Steven was in heaven!!
This is what happens to Jay anytime the little boys are around. He's like a rough-housing magnet everywhere he goes!
Kind of a last minute plan, Lezlee had been to Jackson Hole a couple weeks before with Brad and had seen the play 7 Brides for 7 Brothers advertised, so most of us girls decided to drive up to Jackson to see the play. Katie and Lauren wanted to go...kind of hesitantly, because it was an hour away, but after the play Katie wanted to move to Jackson Hole and marry a cowboy!
Both the girls fell in luuuuuv with the actor who played the youngest brother, Gideon. We saw him the next day...you'll see.
The play was WONDERFUL! I can't praise it enough! The theater was a quaint 100 years old and had a really low ceiling over the audience so sometimes the actors heads were not visible during the play, and old, ripped chairs, and our seats were on the very back row, but the cast did such a great job, I would go again and again and would love to make going there a yearly tradition. So good!
Another "remember when" moment to remember...All us girls were waiting in the lobby for the pre-show (we're talking small town here...all the actors were also the ushers and they helped us find our seats in the little theater before the play started.) and I looked across the small, saloon style, hot and muggy room and saw a guy Will and I had gone to high school with and Will played football with in college. He and his wife and kids were visiting from NEW JERSEY!!! Will and I double dated with he and his, now, wife on their very first date over 18 years ago...which is the last time we saw them.
Talk about small world!
Katie Jane and I wandered around the town a little bit while we waited to get in to the play. We happened to go on a night where there was a, literal, bus load of retirement home people, all wearing name tags, sitting on all the seats in the lobby...so we decided to walk around instead of stand around. We found this Indian statue hidden between two buildings. It didn't scare us, but we watched as it scared an old lady as she walked by. We had to laugh...and then Katie had to pose.
That was pretty much day 2...I did have to work a little bit---trying to pay bills for a client from my iphone...time to upgrade to an ipad, my old eyes couldn't focus for awhile after looking at teeny-tiny fonts---but I had made up my mind that this vacation was going to be a relaxing one. No stress, no rushing, no pressure to do something I didn't really want to do, just whatever made me happy. In fact, every morning, my sisters or mom would come over to my room to find me and I would be watching TV and eating (sneaking before breakfast) the very dangerous and addictive sweet chex mix (the recipe with a cup of butter, lots of sugar and corn syrup and yummy coconut...very dangerous!!) It's what I thought of eating before I went to bed and what made getting up in the morning a little easier.
Of course I never shared. I made my kids their own bag and the then rest was mine (Will, I will share with)...sometimes really good things are hard to share and sometimes kids don't appreciate how good it really is...so I keep it to myself.
That might be the thing that keeps me out of heaven!
Julie doesn't share fattening, high-calorie snacks!
Next...day 3!
The day that will be talked about for the rest of our lives!
















No comments:
Post a Comment