Saturday, December 6, 2008

Go Ashley!!

5...6...7...8...

Will used to make fun of me, being on drill team in high school and all, and he would always say...5...6...7...8...and then attempt to do some horribly uncoordinated drill team/military move and slap his sides with his hands and bob his head up and down. Notice I said "used to" He doesn't any more because it got really old and annoying and I would hit him, so he stopped.

The third generation of Springville D'Velle had a competition today! (I think) my mom was on drill team and me and all my sisters and now...
ASHLEY!!
Jill, Janette and I went to her competition at Timpview. She did W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L! I can't believe how fast and how much she has grown up! Ashley has a real talent and a love for dance and I am so proud of her. Jill and I were...shocked, I guess you could say...as to how much the drill team dances have changed since we were on drill.
There's a hip-hop category and lyrical category now! "Back-in-the-day", we had 1.dance, 2.military, 3.prop and 4.novelty. We RUUULED the novelty category, I must say! "Dancing on the Ceiling" should be in D'Velle history! We had character shoes and gauntlets and super stiff sequin skirts and bike pants and HUGE, poofy hair. (I blame drill team for my obsession with back-combing!)
All gone now.
They wear their hair slicked back with hair pieces in a bun to make it look like they've got long hair. One team even dyed their hair black to match, or maybe it was only brunettes allowed! There are sound effects made during the dances too. Yells and forced, whispery "huh's". I liked some of those.
It made my back hurt to watch some of the things those girls did. I can't move my hips that fast, nor can/could I try to attempt to do a HEAD-STAND! They balanced on their heads with legs straight up, sometimes doing the straddles and TURNING.at.the.same.time! Back flips, pyramids, stunts, lifts...I'd never make it on drill team today!
The facial expressions...MUST go. I don't know who's idea it is to tell the girls to have a "surprised look" all the time. Anoyeeeeeing (said in the best Utah accent I can muster) What's wrong with a beautiful smile during the dance and then maybe, if needed, a straight face. The "fish-pucker look" as Jill named it, looks so ridiculous. I really do want to know if it annoys the judges or not.
So other than the facial expressions and the intense, watch-your-back-because-someone-is-out-to-kill-you-music, I enjoyed all $7 worth! I think Ashley did awesome and I am so proud of her and her talented self! It was a lot of fun and brought back fun memories!

Ashley and Janette...who is on her second generation of attending performances and competitions too.

I feel pretty good about myself though. As old and fat as I feel...I can still do the splits!

Left AND right!

1 comment:

Marcie said...

Holy crap! You can still do the splits. That is past impressive. And I was thinking about "dancing on the ceiling" last week when Lionel was belting it out on New Year's Eve! That was hilarious. My kids would die if they saw me doing that dance on tape!