No, not "I need lunch money" or, "I just broke one of your pretty vases that you love" or, "I peed the bed". The words I am talking about are....
MATURATION PROGRAM.
Jay just flat out didn't tell me when his was, although I'm sure I signed some sort of waiver saying he could go, but I don't remember. And last year I was in Kansas visiting Will before he left for Afghanistan when Katie Jane had her first one, and Aunt Lori and Aunt Janette got the brunt of the questions about the whole "process".
So today...I had to go. Katie Jane wrote it on the calendar, and she even ran back home on her way to school this morning to remind me of it! I'm so glad that she's open and not embarrassed about the whole "situation"
I was a little late getting to the school and they had already started the video...it was the part about an egg...and a sperm...and as I looked up, I saw Katie Jane wave to me on the back row so I walked back to sit by her...passing giggling girls and even a girl with a hoodie up over her head and almost completely covering her face with her arms crossed in front of her! I think she was trying to escape!
I'm glad we were sitting on the back row. It was fun to see the different reactions from the girls when certain words were used. Nervous giggles, eyes averting, looks to see if anyone else was giggling. Oh, how things have changed since I was in 5th grade...you women know what I'm talking about...thankfully so!
I was very proud of Katie Jane. She's socially and emotionally mature. She knows that it's not polite (nor nice, for sure) to comment about someones weight, or disability, or smell (except for Jay's breath) or clothing, or immodesty. She's kind and thoughtful and mature, yet still silly and giddy about David Archuleta, and annoying as most tweens/teens are!
I'm not ready to be a mother of a mature girl!!!
So I made it through my second maturation program - the first being my own when I was in 5th grade at Grant School. I'll do my best to not giggle nervously when my girls ask me questions!
Can I avert my eyes though?
2 comments:
Just be glad you didn't see Oprah today. Woo! It was all about having 'the talk' and the advice given there was a little much for me to take. I'm so glad it's all behind me now. You're a great mom with great kids though, so all will be well.
I just had to go to my first maturation too! But I did it with 13 giggling girls in my class. One girl threw up. And one girl raised her hand to announce to everyone that Mrs. Madeo (me) was going to have a baby too! (Right after the sperm and egg part...thank you Brooke.) What an adventure!
Post a Comment