Thursday, February 4, 2010

The beginning

This post is for my sweetheart of a man and our engagement anniversary...17 years ago on February 2, Groundhog day, in the middle of a blizzard up Hobble Creek Canyon, he told me it would be Spring for the rest of his life if I said I would marry him. Sweet, huh?
Did Will know that "Julie-caused-hurricanes" can happen in the Spring time?
Love you, Honey!! Thank you for my beautiful ring!
Years ago...we're talking decades now people...I was a member of the SHS D'Velles drill team. The high school mascot was and still is the Red Devils...not named after anyone "famous", just named after a concrete product that was used to construct the original high school. "In the day" I'd say we were a very good drill team. Compared to what girls have to do now to be on any drill team, I'm glad the only complicated dance move we had to do was maybe...a death fall...or maybe splits on a muddy football field in the freezing cold with a sleeveless sequin outfit and character shoes. Drill team back then was not as professionally choreographed and elite as it is today. It was fun without all the crazy stress.
So in remembering the day when Will asked me to marry him I found the very first picture of me and Will together...sort of.

Actually, my best friend Angie got to hang on his arm....I was sooo close! This was our novelty dance at a UVCC (now known as UVU) competition, and we needed two hunky-hunks to be our lifeguards. Of COURSE Will was the first choice - in my mind anyway. Look at him! He makes Mike F. - the other lifeguard - look like an elementary school student!! Sadly, those were still the days when waxing my eyebrows hadn't ever been mentioned so the caterpillars still existed above my eyes, and also when I THOUGHT I had fat arms...if I only knew how much worse it would get!
But one thing I knew for sure, even waaay back then. I luuuuuved Will. Not like I love him now because what 17 year old knows what real love is? But from the time I started following him to his German class which was right across the hall from my word-processing class (wow! do they use the term "word-processing" anymore...ever?) I knew that he was something special.
Things that I loved about him then and still love about him now is that he was and still is a gentleman, smart, kind, talented, um, hello!!!...his body!!, thoughtful, honest, humble, a hard worker, creative, romantic (I didn't know he was romantic back then...but romance wasted on other girls doesn't count...because it wasn't me!) and now after being with him for 17 years the list goes on and on and gets deeper and deeper with the addition of children, responsibilities, separation, and all the other fun things life has thrown at us.
My life is blessed. It's not perfect, like my dad thinks it is, but I wouldn't change or trade anything in my life.
Love you, Will! XXXXXXXXXX - them are kisses!!

5 comments:

The Olsons said...

Wow! Love the picture! It's so fun to look back at old pictures. I notice all the girls and their curly hair, maybe it was for the picture or maybe it was because it was the style. Sorry you couldn't hang on his arm, but you got even better than that! Him forever! Congrats on your anniversary!

regina said...

did someone check his urine for anabolics? because i have NEVER seen a HS student built (except me of course) what a great story. i love hearing people's stories like that.

Traci said...

You are so sappy it makes me smile. Glad you guys are so in love.

Jan said...

A perfect love story!!! Did you know you taught me in mini marchettes(? spelling) back in the day. I remember how pretty I thought Julie was and that she was so tall. I still think she is pretty. So happy for you and Will. Congrats!!!

The Lancaster's said...

Yes Julie people still use the word "word-processing." The class is still available at springville high school and you must take it to graduate. :) i took it sophomore year. i looove looking back at you guys's, (is that even a word?) old pictures from high school. mrs. allred, the old drill adviser, has put books together from her years teaching '90 till '09 and it is hilarious to go back and watch the styles change. i love it. and i love you! I'm sad you weren't at work today! hopefully i will see you soon!
-ashley.