Art City Days has been a Strong family tradition for decades. We used to run in the 5k fun run, but when that interfered with the parade and having candy thrown at us, we stopped running. Now they've changed the 5k to the weekend before, but we still don't run.
We used to park my dad's old 67 Ford pick up along the side of the road so that the little kids could see everything and the candy would be easier to catch. Grandma Jane would sit in the back in a chair and our job was to collect candy. I think I remember Grandma having taffy at her house just in case we didn't get enough. Does anyone else in my family remember that?
After the parade was always a picnic at Grandma Jane's. Her back patio was filled to the brim as well as her kitchen with family. Always on the table was her wonderful, yummy, one of a kind potato salad. And the hum of the ice cream maker was behind every conversation. I so miss that!
Now we have the party at Janette's. Tons of yummy food and the hum of the ice cream maker is still present, it's just over at Ryan's next door!
Everybody Holla! The BBQ master is in the house!!
Emma. Food. Yummy.
Ethan and Grady - My cousins Sara and Britney's adorable boys. I love how Grady has his polo shirt buttoned up all the way to the top!
Penina and Devyn showing her hula-hoop skills. She was going to extremes to get that thing to stay up! Who invented that thing - great entertainment. My nephew Jackson...5 years old and all 30 pounds of him, maybe...has hula-hoop hip moves that could win awards! It takes the hula-hoop almost an entire year to circle around his tiny body!
Katie Jane, Allie & Halle. Food. I really only ate once that day, at Janette's, but I was full for an entire week!
So much good food and not enough stomach space!
My super, wonderful Aunt Jeri holding Letley
I just laughed as I thought about all the people on the carnival rides when the storm hit. Ferris wheel during a thunder storm?
We used to park my dad's old 67 Ford pick up along the side of the road so that the little kids could see everything and the candy would be easier to catch. Grandma Jane would sit in the back in a chair and our job was to collect candy. I think I remember Grandma having taffy at her house just in case we didn't get enough. Does anyone else in my family remember that?
After the parade was always a picnic at Grandma Jane's. Her back patio was filled to the brim as well as her kitchen with family. Always on the table was her wonderful, yummy, one of a kind potato salad. And the hum of the ice cream maker was behind every conversation. I so miss that!
Now we have the party at Janette's. Tons of yummy food and the hum of the ice cream maker is still present, it's just over at Ryan's next door!
Everybody Holla! The BBQ master is in the house!!
Emma. Food. Yummy.
Ethan and Grady - My cousins Sara and Britney's adorable boys. I love how Grady has his polo shirt buttoned up all the way to the top!
Penina and Devyn showing her hula-hoop skills. She was going to extremes to get that thing to stay up! Who invented that thing - great entertainment. My nephew Jackson...5 years old and all 30 pounds of him, maybe...has hula-hoop hip moves that could win awards! It takes the hula-hoop almost an entire year to circle around his tiny body!
Katie Jane, Allie & Halle. Food. I really only ate once that day, at Janette's, but I was full for an entire week!
So much good food and not enough stomach space!
My super, wonderful Aunt Jeri holding Letley
Janette's beautiful yard. Like mother like daughter!
Right after most of us finished eating lunch, the weather turned horrible. The guys had to tear the canopy down because it was trying to fly away, and then I remembered the ice cream, churning away over at Ryan and Kristy's house next to their house. Who else but Will...he ran out in the pouring, drenching rain and rescued the ice cream for us. He just knows how important ice cream is to me!
We all sat inside and watched it rain, and listened to the thunder and ate more because it was in front of us. Janette was mad that Grandma Jane didn't order better weather for us. Last year it rained on the parade, too! I think Grandma just wanted everything very green and blossomy!

No comments:
Post a Comment