Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I have no idea how to "Title" this post. The pictures will have to tell the story

A very sobering experience.

I pulled into the parking lot which was surrounded by men and women (they're the Patriot Guard Riders...they'll do this for any soldier, anywhere.  Will didn't like the idea at first, but after attending the first soldiers' funeral and seeing these patriotic citizens in action...he wants these guys to drive his body to the cemetery---that's somewhat a sad thought) completely decked out in biker/leather garb.  Each holding an American flag and standing totally still and lining the entrance to the mortuary.

All ideas of holding it together were lost at that point.  Meeting Matt's family, who have become part of mine, was an honor and so humbling.  What do you say? 

 
 
 


It was a funeral unlike any other I've ever been to.  For example, they played the song "Vogue" by Madonna during the funeral...very original, yet it fit who Matt was---you had to be there.

I still get a lump in my throat when I look at these pictures and when I think about the service and the ceremony at the cemetery.  I just totally can't imagine how anyone can handle a life lesson like this---on so many, many levels.  I had to stop taking pictures after this last one because I had tears running down my face so fast and I couldn't find the tissues I'd stashed in my camera bag. 
Heavenly Father is so awesome---He gave us skin that absorbs.  To a point.

I was in total awe of Will.  Of course I was.

Two side notes...yes, I was taking pictures as I was driving in the funeral procession.  I didn't have to worry about stopping for any red lights or anything and it was such a neat sight, so...
and I do realize that one of the Patriot Riders is resting his hand down the pack of his pants in one of the pictures.  They'd been standing for a long, long time.  Didn't catch that until just a minute ago. 

1 comment:

Strong said...

A gentleman that works with me rides with the "PGR". I think it is a good way to show there support.