All summer, and I mean ALL summer my dad has been trying to get his boat to work properly. He has put so much money into it and just can't seem to give up on it. (I know, Ryan...he's still attached to it. We just need to be a little more patient with him) He towed the big, honking thing all the way to Lake Powell where he launched it in the water, drove it to the dock, then put it back on the trailer and there it sat in the parking lot for 4 days while we played on the water in the other boats.
Last week he thought he FINALLY had it figured out, and Will just happened to be home to help him take it to the lake and give it a try. Will's body was home, but his brain was somewhere else working and his head was attached to a phone almost the entire time, but I was glad he was there because that saved me from having to back the boat into the water. Shwooo!
This is what I look like at 39, kiddos. Just so you know what you have to look forward to! This picture helped me to decide that my hair needed to be short again. I was going for this look...but it's just not happening. I'll stick with what I know.
Upon opening the doors to the truck, we were met by swarms of mosquitoes. SWARMS! I instantly had 5 bites and it leaves me to wonder: HOW those blasted mosquitoes know where to bite in the most annoyingly itchy places? Why? My hands were also covered in Emma's blood from squishing the useless bugs on Emma's legs as they tried to bite her.
We've had a couple of sleepless nights over those mosquito bites. Lots of potions. No sleep.
My dad got the boat to cruising speed. It was great and he was, obviously, very happy.
The girls were glad because the mosquitoes were gone. For only a moment.
My dad was happy until we got right outside the harbor and his oil gauge dropped and we lost all power. Thank heavens for good Samaritans and ski ropes.
I'm sure Will would have jumped out of the boat and swam with a rope and pulled us in, but he was on the phone for the entire test ride...work stuff. Someone towed us in and we tried to coast into the shore, but the wind wasn't totally cooperating, so we began to coast into another boat.
That whole situation ended in a woman on another boat falling into the water trying to keep our two boats apart...the horror, seriously, the horror. That was the only time in my life when I felt like my arms were as skinny as toothpicks---trying to lift an elephant :/ she wasn't that big, it was just an impossible task, as much as I tried---Then to add to that, some old guys fishing off the ramp had to wade out into waist deep water and guide us in.
All of this happened and I was the one who got lifted off the boat and carried on Will's shoulders to the shore as Princessly as ever. I hope that poor soaking wet lady didn't see that spoiled rotten moment. Will knows how much I hate that water. In the end...I ended up getting wet too.
My dad wished for a stick of dynamite.
No, Ryan...you may not give him one.
And the boat's back at the marine...they're trying something else. I think we'll wait until next summer to test it and make sure all memories of this last time are safely put away.

My dad was happy until we got right outside the harbor and his oil gauge dropped and we lost all power. Thank heavens for good Samaritans and ski ropes.
I'm sure Will would have jumped out of the boat and swam with a rope and pulled us in, but he was on the phone for the entire test ride...work stuff. Someone towed us in and we tried to coast into the shore, but the wind wasn't totally cooperating, so we began to coast into another boat.
That whole situation ended in a woman on another boat falling into the water trying to keep our two boats apart...the horror, seriously, the horror. That was the only time in my life when I felt like my arms were as skinny as toothpicks---trying to lift an elephant :/ she wasn't that big, it was just an impossible task, as much as I tried---Then to add to that, some old guys fishing off the ramp had to wade out into waist deep water and guide us in.
All of this happened and I was the one who got lifted off the boat and carried on Will's shoulders to the shore as Princessly as ever. I hope that poor soaking wet lady didn't see that spoiled rotten moment. Will knows how much I hate that water. In the end...I ended up getting wet too.
My dad wished for a stick of dynamite.
No, Ryan...you may not give him one.
And the boat's back at the marine...they're trying something else. I think we'll wait until next summer to test it and make sure all memories of this last time are safely put away.
1 comment:
One of two things needs to happen.
1. boat is sold or destroyed!
2. Dad is committed to crazy hospital and the boat is sold or destroyed!!!
Post a Comment