There might be too many explanation points in that title, but...
My beautiful Lauren turned 12 on Saturday. You know how some kids are ready and some kids are definitely not ready to get older? Well, Lauren is ready. I am not. She' still my innocent, sweet, thoughtful, caring, non-judgmental, affectionate baby girl with an awesome giggle...those are surely not teenager attributes, so this age of 12 just doesn't fit her yet!

I'm not ready for my kids to grow up! I've been looking at pictures and videos of my kids when they were babies and little with their squeaky, high-pitched voices and it honestly almost...ALMOST, but not really, makes me baby hungry. The baby lotion I use in the morning also gives me the same twinge.
Lauren was the best baby---thank heavens---and I know she's not going to stay angelically kind to her mom for much longer, but I sure do love her. And I'm so proud of how kind she is to others and how she has a genuine interest in everyone elses' well being. She's still my planner and idea giver. There's never a Monday night that goes by that Lauren doesn't already have a FHE lesson prepared---scripture references and everything, and an activity, and for sure the dessert!
Twelve is a big deal. I tried to make it special for her. But, per normal my intentions and my follow through just don't quite compare!
So Lauren decided, along with the help of a friend, to throw a birthday party for herself...without any help from her mother. That includes, making the invitations, planning the activities...including food to be served, planning the decorations, and ultimately delivering the invitations...all without my knowledge until the day before the planned party.
My beautiful Lauren turned 12 on Saturday. You know how some kids are ready and some kids are definitely not ready to get older? Well, Lauren is ready. I am not. She' still my innocent, sweet, thoughtful, caring, non-judgmental, affectionate baby girl with an awesome giggle...those are surely not teenager attributes, so this age of 12 just doesn't fit her yet!
I'm not ready for my kids to grow up! I've been looking at pictures and videos of my kids when they were babies and little with their squeaky, high-pitched voices and it honestly almost...ALMOST, but not really, makes me baby hungry. The baby lotion I use in the morning also gives me the same twinge.
Lauren was the best baby---thank heavens---and I know she's not going to stay angelically kind to her mom for much longer, but I sure do love her. And I'm so proud of how kind she is to others and how she has a genuine interest in everyone elses' well being. She's still my planner and idea giver. There's never a Monday night that goes by that Lauren doesn't already have a FHE lesson prepared---scripture references and everything, and an activity, and for sure the dessert!
Twelve is a big deal. I tried to make it special for her. But, per normal my intentions and my follow through just don't quite compare!
So Lauren decided, along with the help of a friend, to throw a birthday party for herself...without any help from her mother. That includes, making the invitations, planning the activities...including food to be served, planning the decorations, and ultimately delivering the invitations...all without my knowledge until the day before the planned party.
Imagine my surprise when she told me they were "planning" on having a shaving cream fight outside.
Um. No.
Everything worked out, when she finally got the nerve to tell me what she had done and her excuse was...she forgot to tell me. A couple of my kids have decided that it's easier to get forgiveness than permission.
As was this case. Which makes me feel kind of bad because she obviously wanted to have the party really bad, but I think it was more like...her friend wanted her to have a party really bad and so the two of them, and their party-planning brains, and their birthday-card invitation craft skills went to town.
I am not a messy-party mom. I don't even like parties. Mostly because I'm not a good entertainer. I want structure, obedience and cleanliness. All of those things never happen at parties. But as long as they did it outside, I let them have a "pie-eating" contest with pudding. Much better idea than the shaving cream contest Lauren was wishing for. Because of the sugar, of course!!
It was less of a contest and more of pudding eating. As messy as they could get---the better.
For them.
For them.
The latest and greatest little things...that are ALL OVER MY FLOOR!!
But that's what makes kids love them, I guess!
It's time to accessorize!!
Happy Birthday Lauren, my YOUNG WOMAN!!
We love you so much!
We love you so much!

1 comment:
I'm with you on the party scene. Don't like fun, hate games, mess and chaos? No way! Maybe thats why Dylan's party tomorrow has no plan yet, no invitations sent, and haven't ordered a cake either. I claim to be the world's biggest "party pooper", it must be in our blood ;)
Post a Comment