Saturday, January 29, 2011

Trash or Treasure...my newest idea of fun

Last weekend I had to pick Will up at the airport...at 12:30 in the morning, which I really wouldn't have minded, but I took it one step further and got a room at a hotel and spent the evening by myself with a good book, a good sandwich, snacks, a large chocolate chip cookie, the TV and the remote and of course, a large diet coke.  All while snuggled in bed under the covers.  Eating in a bed that's not my own is so much more enjoyable!

I also visited a couple of places that I don't normally get to because I have a car full of kids and a husband and it's the last place they want to go into, and let's face it, shopping while a car full of people are waiting outside doesn't fulfill the desired shopping experience.   You know, the decorator stores.  The ones that make my brain spin with possibilities so bad that I usually walk out empty handed with a headache.  Will likes that part, the empty handed part, but it's not because I don't see anything I like---it's because I see e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g that I DO like.

Quite the dilemma.

So on the way home the next morning, Will and I found our adventurous side and zig-zagged our way through the streets of downtown SLC to find parking to this place I've seen a few times while coming into the city.


And about 30 minutes into our search for whatever, because there was absolutely everything you could think of in this huge, freezing cold, warehouse of a place...I saw this in a section of the building where most of the stain glass windows were.


It closely resembles a "Biesinger family brand".   You have to look at it sideways from how this picture is taken.  The guy at the store told us it was circa about 1915 and is a rose.  Me, with all my antique-show-watching knowledge, thought that I would pay about $50 for it.

Nope.


The guy wanted $100, and if Will hadn't been there I would have paid the man, but since we decided that $50 was as high as we would go and the guy would only come down to $90, we left the store empty handed.  That window haunted me the entire week.  I knew exactly where I wanted to hang it and my mom told me that I was crazy because windows that size sell for $200 in some places...and so I made Will take me back up yesterday.  It was still there and we managed to find another couple of awesome finds.

This place is HUGE.  

Have you ever seen a stuffed rhinoceros?  Well, today's your day....


I walked past this huge thing twice before I saw it.  That's how focused (actually overwhelmed) I was!  Yes, it's real and no...I did not dare touch it!  Ewww!


It was like we had never been in the store before.  We saw things that, I swear weren't there last week.  Totally overwhelming!


We walked up the stairs to a football field sized room of chairs.  Seriously, it took my breath away!  They're all set up on this side of the room, but on the other side of the room they are stacked to the ceiling.  





Most of the stuff was old antique furniture they had shipped from England.  Broken, dusty, dirty, dig through boxes, find something that you could turn into something that works kind of stuff.  Some things were clearly not even close to being antique.  You could go in there every weekend for a year and see something new every time.

We laughed as we would walk around and think about how freaked out Katie Jane would be to be in the store.  She hates antiques...the smell and the thought of the oldness or something.  A phobia of antiques? Is there such a thing?

Once Will gets the window cleaned up and hung, I can do a before and after.

6 comments:

Christensen Kids said...

What an awesome store! I think i would be in heaven....or at least have a whole lotta fun looking at all the stuff and dreaming of ways to incorporate it in my house.

Christensen Kids said...

Maybe I should ad....not the rhino or the lion...I think I could leave those out of my house.

Debbie said...

Cool store! Wow, that would be so fun. I think I should have the little statue holding the fish (with a dog head?) in the picture above the rhino one. I mean how appropriate for MY yard, don't ya think?! LOL

Jill said...

That store looks like a lot of fun. I wish I lived in UT.

The Olsons said...

This is my dream store! Anytime you're looking for company to go shopping with at a place like that I would drop everything and hop right along. I need to find that place

Tuttle Family said...

I want to go there!