Kind of a gross picture...sorry. It's not very often that I look closely at all the smudges on my windows, this window in particular. It's a big picture window---if I sit in the right spot on the couch, I can watch airplanes, one after another, come from the east on their way to SLC to land, which always gets my mind wandering to places I would love to go, but I digress---a big window that usually has multiple handprints on it, or a forehead impression or two and lately little swipes of Willie's wet nose as he barks at intruders in the backyard, and it's exactly the kind of window I wanted to view my beautiful yard.
I would like to pat myself on the back for having my windows SO clean that birds try to fly right through them thinking they're just going through a tunnel, but giving myself that much credit is almost breaking a commandment. No the "do not kill" commandment, but the "bearing false witness" commandment.
So I'll just say that one such bird, probably thinking that it looked much brighter inside my house than it can possibly be outside (seriously...where is the sun and the warmth??) on these dreary days we've been having, tried to come inside. Tried.
Don't worry. Before I took the picture I looked outside on the ground and made sure there wasn't a poor bird laying in agony. It was a hit hard enough to smear it's wet body and lose a couple of feathers, and perhaps knock anything out of it's mouth it was trying to save to make a nest (how else could that blade of grass have gotten there??) and there are a couple of other little splats there that concern me---not quite sure if it's what I think it may be---but not hard enough that it could't get back up and fly away.
We've had a few not be that lucky.
Usually 3 to 4 times a year there is a huge thud that scares us all half to death, and then we all go make sure a poor bird isn't laying maimed or dead before we let Willie outside.
I'd like to think that we have a bird friendly yard, but our front and back windows are proving us very wrong!
No comments:
Post a Comment