Sunday, April 3, 2011

Weekend!

I've waited so long for a beautiful weekend.  One where I wasn't trapped inside folding towels or mopping floors or waiting in endless lines at blankety-blank Mart.   It could have started off better, but Emma settled down with round 2 of her cough.  Seriously, is it so hard to keep your kids home from school if they're sick?  Might be hard for some, I guess, but Emma has missed almost 2 weeks of school because of this lovely virus.


So she's mad because she spent her weekend in her room, except for when we took her to get a frozen yogurt.  She was worried about what she was wearing...her pj's, day 2, I had to assure her that we were going to be the best dressed people in that particular gas station.  It was true.


My beautiful flowers are waking up!  My yard is covered, seriously COVERED with little seed pod hull type things from the family tree in our front yard.  My carpet and mudroom are also covered, which means my favorite cleaning tool...my vacuum...is also full.

I was driving home from the photo shoot on Friday evening, about 6:30, and saw kids running through the sprinklers.  72 degrees isn't exactly run through the sprinklers type of weather, but where it's been snowing about every other day around here, you run when you can! 70 degrees is heat wave!



I know I take pictures of these flowers every year and every year I find it hard to describe how wonderful they smell!  It makes getting close enough to smell them worth the risk of getting too close to something Willie left in the yard....you know what I mean, right?


Will decided that we needed to reclaim some of our property from the overgrown bushes and trees in the back corner of our yard.  He had visions of a fire pit in his head and he knew exactly what he wanted to do to have it. Somehow within the last couple of weekends, the privacy around our yard has diminished. He's cleared out truck and trailer loads of overgrowth and we still have truck and trailer loads of yard to haul off still.  

I think our neighbors might see too much of us.  They already hear too much of us, but now it's near impossible to hide in the yard.




So, from running through the sprinklers and having doors and windows open and wearing short(er) sleeve shirts--I always look forward to fall and winter mostly because of the arm coverage option---we woke up to this.




This is our newly re-acquired fire pit area...not to be used too soon thanks to the delayed April fool's joke from Mother Nature!


We woke up to a broken bad mitten set (one of the poles snapped in half from the weight of the snow) and we also woke up to very large branches from our family tree laying in the road in front of the house.  I guess that means aNOTHER load to the yard waste dump.


I had to make a comfort food breakfast.  Snow = cozy breakfast.  Hot chocolate and bread pudding.  Cuddling up under blankets to watch Conference, one of my two favorite Sundays of the year.  For several reasons.  ;)

The last time I saw Jay's pig, he was little and cute and made cute piglet noises.  Not anymore.

Today, when I first saw the pigs in the pen that Jay cleans out, I thought that that front pig had frozen and was dead.  Nope.  Totally asleep.  All the pigs in the yard were awake and grunting and barking (seriously some of them sounded like they were barking) except for the pigs in Jay's pen.

They were having a Conference Sunday too.



This is Jay's pig...or soon to be our dinner.  I think Jay's just going to call him Pig, but I think Hammy sounds better.  Hammy the Hampshire.  He's stubborn and a whiner and rather lazy.


Will, back in his glory days of the FFA.  Father and son...walking the pig.  



Hammy got quite the workout.  Walking around and being bumped with a cane seemed to be a lot for this fat guy and as soon as he got back into the pen...he had to lay down and take a nap.

Going, going...


and gone.


And then more poor trees under a lot of pressure!



And the saddest casualty of all.  Remember the pretty daffodil I took a picture of yesterday?  Here's what it looks like today.



That's how I feel about it too!

No comments: