Thursday, October 8, 2009

Please forgive me if I get repetitious in my ramblings, but...

Have I ever mentioned that I love Christmas music? And that I REALLY like Christmas music that's, like, old. Like 40's and 50's? Perry Como, Dean Martin (although he sometimes sounded drunk) Tony Bennett, Jackie Gleason - and his orchestra (so dreamy! I could listen to that stuff for HOURS) and oooooh Bing Crosby! But my very, very, very favorite - although I'm pretty sure he wasn't a music star in those decades, is....Robert Goulet.
He's got such a smooth, deep, charming voice! (even The Simpsons couldn't ruin my love for Robert Goulet's voice)

I'm sure in my younger years, when not even cassette tapes were popular yet and we just had the old vinyl records to play, I must have seemed very beyond my years for the kind of Christmas music I liked to listen to. I like the REAL, original stuff. Classic. Not popular and top 40. None of the remake from the original music that is popular today. So...to make a long explanation short...I love Christmas music! I know I already said that!

SO. Since my birthday is exactly 3 months before Christmas Day, September 25th has always been my starting date for listening to Christmas music. (did you know that there is even a Christmas music channel on Dish?) But in more recent years, I've found that if I start listening to Christmas music on my birthday, then by December 1st, it's gotten old and I don't enjoy it as much. So that practice no longer stands. I wait until Thanksgiving day...that's good, huh? And that way I don't get sick of it. My kids still do, but I don't!

What got me onto this thought about Christmas music was, last night, Will and Jay and I went to Will's brothers house to move some hay into their barn. My forearms look like Popeye's...holy cow! How much does a bail of hay weigh anyway! As I was walking to the barn in almost total darkness, I remembered that I had put some candy in my hoodie pocket.

If you know me...I always have candy either in my house (hidden or out in the open) or on my person at any given time. And you know when you get too much of a good thing and so you go for long periods of time without wanting that good thing again? Well, peppermint (and ribbon candy and filled candy and hard tac candy...) is my good thing at Christmas. I have the silver fillings to prove it, too.

So most of the year I don't go near it because I've usually overdosed on peppermint candy canes that my kids won't eat and that Santa continues to bring. What mom gets her own Christmas stocking anymore? Don't mom's just eat what the kids don't like - or steal what they want when the kids leave their stocking laying around? A.N.Y.W.A.Y. I put a peppermint candy in my mouth last night as I was walking to the barn, and I don't know if it was the cool air or the smell of smoke from someone heating their house with wood, but my brain snapped right into Christmas/holiday season anticipation.

I know...there is someone out there...reading this...that is ba-hum-bug-ing people like me.

Last night, that one peppermint flooded my mind with great, awesome memories of Fall and the holiday seasons. And as I crunched that peppermint candy up - because I don't have the patience to savor candy - I smiled and remembered that this year, I'll have Will to enjoy this years awesome memories from start to finish. mmmmmm. Mistletoe!

I'm still wondering how that one piece of candy made me think all of these things...please tell me there are more people that have brains that think out of control like mine!

4 comments:

Jerbabe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jerbabe said...

I think it's wonderful! I love your brain Julie!!

That's funny--the word verification for this post is: humbob----almost humbug!

MJ said...

Love it, Julie!! And I agree--I especially love old, old Christmas music, as well. Bruce just puts up with it for me from November through Christmas...

Graciesmom said...

I love Christmas too! And the classic music is the best! My fave has always been Johnny Mathis.
(BTW I think Dean Martin WAS drunk most of the time)