Will and I spent a chunk of the day in the freezing cold wind, in a few inches of snow, with not enough warm clothes to keep the uncontrolled shivers at bay, at the Veterans Cemetery near Camp Williams to celebrate Matt Wagstaff's birthday.
It was an honor to freeze to death!
Matt's mom, Suzanne, wanted so much to remember her son on his birthday and asked if Will would help her get things ready. (Back story...Will is the casualty assistance officer for the Wagstaff family since their son was killed in Afghanistan on September 21 last year. We love this family!) The day was beautifully sunny, but the wind was out of control!! It's been a long time since my hands were so cold that they ached as they warmed up!
So we released over 100 balloons that Suzanne and her friend somehow fit in their cars...some balloons wanted a friend to fly with, and Suzanne had these little cards attached to each balloon, which I thought was such a great idea. I can't wait to see who finds the cards and responds! My balloon popped before I could let it go...it froze to death!
There were several launches around the country to celebrate Matt's birthday, where Matt's wife is in KY and where Matt's dad was working in WY and family friends who couldn't make it to the cemetery...he is surely missed and loved.
Balloon cupcakes, which were SO good, but my face and mouth were so frozen it looked like I was a 2 year old by the mess on my face!
We love you, Wagstaff family! You're in our thoughts and prayers daily!

No comments:
Post a Comment