Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Firsts

Every first Sunday of the month, we get together with all of Will's family (whoever is in the state, that is...we miss you Jane, Brian, girls and little Will, and Jon, Tasha and girls) and before we can eat dinner that we've been waiting ALL DAY for, we go around the room and each family tells of any "firsts" they may have had in the past month.

I realize that I may be ruining it for the family in state...not that any of them check this blog anyway...but we had a couple of firsts TODAY in our family that I'm going to mention---because the corn dogs and tater tots aren't ready yet and what else is there to do until they're done because there's not enough time to do anything worth getting super involved in.

Number one

I just got home from the grocery store where I got too impatient waiting for a car to pull out of the parking lot and onto the road.  I did notice that the car was being a little jerky in it's movements and as I zipped to another place to get out of the crazy parking lot I realized who it was in that jerky jeep that was holding everyone up.

It's time for us to welcome Jay and his friends with their learners permits!!  

I screamed on the inside...and the outside!

I must say BRAVO to any parent who remains calm enough to get in a car with their permit holding child!  It's so surreal to see these boys whom I remember being so little once.  They're not anymore.  I was full of smiles when I think of Jay's friend with his dad in the passenger seat...we should be at that stage but Jay won't finish reading and studying the drivers manual so he can take the test.  Soon enough...that will be Will showing his patience as he waits for Jay to exit a very full and busy parking lot.

I will not be in the car.

Number two...





I got a little over zealous with the punching bag in kickboxing class (that's WITH boxing gloves on and it really looked worse in person.  promise!) and Emma learned that if she trips and falls and lets half of her fingers go forward and the others back...she will have a broken finger.

She was so shocked and thrilled with the news.  She's never wanted to get back to school so fast in her life to show her schoolmates her hand!!  Splint for now until the swelling goes down and next week, a cast.

I'm sure the amusement of a cast will wear off in a few weeks.  Maybe even sooner when she realizes that it's going to be tough for her to do sign language along to the songs they're singing for the 2nd grade program on Thursday night.

She'll be an easy one to pick out!

Everyday is really full of a bunch of firsts...and here I was thinking that we were past our firsts and having more lasts!

No comments: