Sunday, May 4, 2008

Afghanistan!


ANA NCO’s quizzing their men in a ‘round robin’-like activity. Each in turn around the circle stands and is orally quizzed by the NCO. Its nearly 100 degrees at this time, by the way.
Two more groups like the one above. Notice the dust in the air. Its always like this around here. One of the groups was training on this old (1948) Russian weapon. CPT Bitz, SFC Moreley and I checked it out…without a linguist/interpretor. Who knows what we were all laughing about? No clue!

Will and SFC Morely

An ANA soldier. As you can see the army is composed of all ages from boys to old men. This kid doesn’t come across as much of a barrel-chested freedom fighter. But don’t underestimate him. Kids like this defeated the Soviet Union.


Beautification projects on the ANA Camp. The roses, though you can’t really see them here, are quite pretty.

The Mosque on the ANA Camp. Equivalent to the Post Chapel.

This is the cab of a grader that was moving gravel around on the camp. I’m sending
this picture to give Ryan Strong some ideas for WW Clyde.

Home Sweet Home! (Will's window is the first from the right) The bunker is to the right of the "B Hut" - the place where they sleep, and the shadow on the right is the latrine - Will says to make sure you are not around when it is emptied!



1 comment:

Brad and Lezlee Strong said...

So humbling to look at! I am so proud of him! I love seeing pictures of what it's like over there. I hope you guys are doing well and if you ever need anything holler even if it means going to that blasted chocolate store over here and getting some heavenly treats! Hope to see you at the end of the month! Love you guys! We are praying for Will every night!