I'm patting my self on the back...I did it! I had a man come to my door tonight. Unfortunately, the door was open and I'm sure he heart every word of the Spongebob episode that was blaring on the TV through the screen door, and Lauren and Emma and Willie who race to the door with much stomping and yelling, so there was NO WAY to pretend to not be home.
I nicely, and patiently listened to his story about how he just moved here from I can't remember where and he is going to be attending BYU (probably a lie...meant to make naive mormon moms feel sorry for him and buy his crap) this fall and his parents, both in the Navy, told him that he needed to earn some money so he could support 4 people doing something in another country because they didn't want him living with them, or something or other, and that he wasn't selling magazines or anything, but rather....books. Did I lose anyone?
How is that different or better (or worse) than magazines?
At the point of him pulling the pamphlet of books out of his back pocket -- I commented that I should have a "no soliciting - OF ANY KIND, SHAPE, FORM, STYLE" on my door. He continued to stand there, but acted more ready to take the "NO" blow. I know that I don't need to give explanations to strangers, but I told him that I got burned (beaten, dragged, punched, obliterated) by a security system salesman and their low-rate, shady, poor business company and that I don't buy ANYTHING from solicitors.
I waaaay learned my lesson...and Will's credit score, sadly, learned the same lesson. :(
Ya HA! I did it! And I didn't feel bad about it either! And he thought that that old "I'm going to be a student at BYU this fall" (insert mimicking voice) crap would work on this gal! I'm soooo over solicitors! It's taken me years and many, many bottles of wonder cleaner and chocolate and book presentations and even the Jehovah Witnesses -- who somehow think that my niceness & politeness = interest in their church -- whatever.
First thing tomorrow...I'm making my own "NO SOLICITING" sign. I might stick a few more words in it too, but I'm done with strangers ringing my doorbell and interupting Spongebob!
Girl Scout cookie solitations are very welcome, though!
3 comments:
Boy Julie, we went all the way to temple square for flower pictures. We should have just come to your house!
I miss you my friend!
I got sucked into that book-buying bit a year or two ago because I was confused that he was a solicitor at first. I then cancelled my order (which is a pain, by the way), but I felt so much better afterwards. You can find the same things in Book Orders for half the price!
Also, two nights ago we had a similar guy stop at our house. Matt told him right off that we weren't in a position to buy anything. The "student" responded, "You don't even know how much they cost," and he stormed off rudely. Do "No Soliciting" signs even work? If they do, I'm putting one up ASAP.
Way to go!!!! They always try to suck you in with a sob story (and I am usually sucked in) but you have given me hope :)
Post a Comment