Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The continuing adventures of Will...

Okay...this post is to irritate my brother Ryan, who has been waiting for Lake Powell pictures for a MONTH now!  He yelled at me and told me he's sick and tired of being at Alcatraz!!

I know...I think that when I take so many pictures it gets so overwhelming and I can't decide which pictures to include so I try to include them all and I get overwhelmed.  My only spare time lately has been in the early morning hours...before going to bed early morning hours...and at that point in the day, my computer is about ready to explode because it's so hot and tired.

My list of "wishes" keeps growing!!

So.

Ryan, we're going back to Huntington, which as you remember, we kind of passed through on our way TO and FROM Lake Powell, so it's all kind of connected, right?

Will was riding his bike home from the...what did I call it???...pond the night before his triathlon, and as Emma and I drove home, I looked directly into the sun and took pictures of it. 

And of course anything related to military I always take pictures of.  Except for soldiers leaning against their cars in parking lots, smoking.  I don't take pictures of that.

Will and I are at the fantastic stage of our lives that we can go somewhere over night...or sometimes a little longer...and leave our kids at home to take care of themselves.  Of course I always prepare for phone calls into the double digits from Emma...it happens every time I leave her.

Because I was dragging my feet on whether or not I was going to go with Will, he got last minute reservations at a hotel, wait....motel, and after he had made the reservation, he promptly called me to ask me if I was up to date on all my immunizations.  It wasn't really that bad.  Except for the totally 70's couch with pillows so flat and used that I didn't get within 3 feet of it, and the bathroom door that wouldn't shut and the toilet that ran c.o.n.s.t.a.n.t.l.y, it wasn't too bad.

I did bring my own pillow, however.

And I had one of those half asleep/half awake dreams where I was trying to tell myself that I should probably have looked underneath the mattress pad for bed bugs before I got into bed, but was too tired in my dream, and in real life, so I just took a chance.

We got to the event before the sun was even up...which was hard to do after dreaming about bed bugs and stuff all night, but was great when the whole thing was over before 8:00 in the morning!

This wasn't a very big triathlon as far as number of participants, but they did a great job organizing it still, and I'm not just saying that because they had really good homemade whole wheat rolls and coconut cookies at the dinner the night before.  I had a great dinner and the mosquitoes had a great dinner as well.
Will, of course, did great.  He got off track a couple of times in the swim so he probably swam more than he needed to.  I teased him that if the lady who did the swim wearing a life jacket (I know...a bulky red life jacket, and she didn't put her face in the water the entire time...but at least she was doing it...as I stood there with my camera and my bag of licorice) beat him out of the water, I was going to have to come in after him.

He got out of the water loooong before she did thank goodness.  I cheered for her though!



Every time he passed me between the transitions, I would yell and cheer at him and he never heard me or turned his head in the least, in my direction.

I can't imagine anyone not hearing me yell.

I found flowers to keep me entertained during his bike ride.

The time he spent swimming in zig-zag lines, he made up for in on the bike and the run.  



Two more times running past me as I yelled and he still didn't hear me.



I was all set up for the perfect picture to get him crossing the finish line and the announcer guy had to walk right in front of me.  Nice.


His goal was to finish 3 triathlons this summer.  Two down and one to go in October.  I'm always so impressed with his dedication.  My stomach can't handle the butterflies that I get for weeks before any kind of event.

He's Mr. Cool and Calm, my hero and my rock.

I'd brave imaginary bed bugs for him any day!

1 comment:

The Olsons said...

I wish that looked fun to me, but for some reason it doesn't. But the lady with the life jacket reminds me of me. I'm the one who wants to do a half marathon but by WALKING it. I really might do it one day.