Monday, July 12, 2010

Day 4 - San Francisco

Our last day.  Sad to see it over, but we were ready to see the kids again (even though Emma called me more times a day than I could count, to tell me that she just couldn't do it anymore and wanted us to come home.) and we really missed our soft, comfortable bed...and our big bathroom!!


This is looking at Union Square, which we thought would be much bigger, from our hotel room.  We ate at The Cheesecake Factory right there in Macy's...ate at Blondie's Pizza around the corner, got snacks at the Walgreens on the corner (my life revolves around food)

We decided to find the gateway into China Town since we kind of went in the back door before.  We spent this entire day walking and walking and I think we almost covered the entire city.  We walked through China Town...found some more goodies for the kids...and found ourselves in a Greek part of town where they were having a street fair.  Yummy smells came from that part of town.




We were on our way to Coit Tower, which involved a very steep hill and a lot of stairs.  But with my super smart husband, we avoided the big hills and walked around them instead until we got to the unavoidable steep hill and stairs.  Work smarter, not harder!


Alcatraz from Coit Tower.  Have you seen enough pictures of Alcatraz yet?

I know, this bush isn't exactly picture worthy, but I love seeing what the focus really is, out of focus, behind what's in focus.  ya?  The bridge...the flag...ya?

Will.  Sycamore tree.   :)

All around Coit Tower were trees and bushes and shrubs, which made taking pictures of things around SF kind of hard, but the views through the trees and over the bushes were so wonderful.  We decided not to pay to go to the top.  We had other places we wanted to go and we figured we had good enough views from the ground. 

As we were walking through the tower of houses and steep hills, I saw Lombard Street.  I didn't think that we'd have time to make it there on this trip, but seeing it wasn't too far away, we had to make the hike.


Again we traveled around the steepest hills, but eventually the hill we had to climb to get to the bottom of the hill was crazy steep.  If I were to have looked straight forward as I was walking up the hill, I would have been staring at the ground.


It's longer than I thought it would be.  The houses lining the street were so neat.  I'm sure the owners knew what they were getting themselves into when they bought a house on a tourist attraction, but more than the street, I wanted to go look inside the houses!!



My camera has a timer!  Here we are!  It was a one shot deal.  There were people walking up and down the stairs alongside the road and the last think I wanted was people stopping so I could get a picture of me.  Making traffic stop to get a picture of Will is another story!!

One of our favorite TV shows is "What Would Brian Boitano Make?" on the Food Network. 

We think he is so funny in our house!!  And we've tried many of his recipes.  So Will and I were just sure that we would be able to find his house somewhere in this jungle of houses squished together.  We might have gotten close, but no luck.  He probably would have invited us in for lunch...hmmm, what would he have made for us?

We made our way back down to the Wharf, went to Ghirardelli, got some chocolate, found a bathroom, saw "people" holding hands, got a free diet Dr. Pepper, and walked all the way back to our hotel, picked up our luggage, walked to the BART station, got some more "help" from a man buying our tickets whose job it was to help tourists lose all their money to beggars, which we didn't need, took a BART ride to the airport in which I kept my eye down one side of the BART car and Will kept his eye on the other, (I'm not afraid of scum in SLC anymore!) and sat in the airport while our plane got delayed a while.

And ate our 5 lbs of salt water taffy.

Coming into SLC was a relief.  Small, full plane.  So full and small that they had to ask passengers to switch sides to even out the balance.  That was kind of scary to me!  That and the fact that there was only one stewardess.  I almost asked if I could help!

I saw fire works from the air somewhere in south SLC.  They looked like ants were having fireworks.  It still made me smile.

We got home super late, went right to bed and when I got up the next morning I was so thankful to be in my beautiful home with my wonderful kids and my near perfect husband.  And then I saw this...

And I heard all the birds and the lambs and saw...space...and it made me smile!

No comments: