This summer has been filled with "out-of-the-blue" activities for myself. First it was skydiving, then I colored my hair really dark - no dad, I'm not going GOTH! - and this week I had my eyes FIXED!!! Rest assured, Will knew all about these things before I did them, except for the hair! I'll never be a blond anyway!
It all went really fast. Appointment on Friday, procedure on Tuesday! It was a little different than LASIK - it was PRK, (Photo refractive Keratectomy)which takes a little longer recovery time, but it's the same surgery that Airforce pilots have. Thanks to bad astigmatisms and thin cornea's (what parent do I have to thank for that?) this was the only procedure possible for my eyes. Safer, actually than LASIK!!
So...Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday my eyes were closed for about 23 of the 24 hours. Major burning, and pain - for all of you contact wearers, like accidentally putting the cleaning solution in your eye instead of the saline solution. Friday morning I woke up feeling GREAT!! My "contact band-aids" will come off on Monday! Band-aids because they literally SCRAPED my epithelium off my eye with what Steven called a "hoe" and as I watched the video, it really was a hoe!
Steven has been my designated driver to all my appointments...he's the awesome photographer of these pictures too.

Is my face really that crooked or is it the camera angle...anyway, they had to put dots ON my eyes before the surgery. Steven's eyes were watering as they colored on my eyes!

This is me nice and relaxed - with a little "help" from a pill...then the procedure began!

That's my eye taped wide open (the worst part actually was having the tape ripped off!) Both eyes took less than 12 minutes!

And this is me after - a little blurry, with my eyes closed waiting to see the doctor.
And four days after the procedure - I can see awesome, even with the band-aids in and my vision at only 80%. Still, very expensive and I swear I'll stop accepting e.mails from Pottery Barn, but thanks to Will being in the military - I got a discount! I'll take any PERK I can get for the inconvenience and pain it is to have Will gone! And now I can travel a little lighter, sans the huge bottle of contact solution and multiple contact cases "just-in-case". My glasses, I laid peacefully, yet joyfully in their coffin - never to be missed!
Hope I didn't gross anyone out!
4 comments:
Yea, Julie! I'm so happy for you. I'll be even happier for you when you are 100% recovered.
It makes my eyes water just looking at those pictures.
Now that sounds very interseting. You'll have to tell me all about it! I have finaly been trying to wear contacts instead of glasses and I too have horible astignatisms. But the contact thing has been quite a battle too! To much rotation on the eye......but your way also looks more painful! I bet it's worth it though!
Yea! I'm glad all went well. You will absolutely LOVE it. It's great to wake up and actually see something.
Good for you :)
Congrats! You have had an eventful year! I am so happy for you.
Post a Comment