Saturday, March 21, 2009

FamilY time at the Y

We hiked to the Y on the mountain on Friday. For some reason, my computer isn't letting me post any pictures to my blog unless I go through flickr...which is loooong and annoying. So When I figure it out, there will be more pictures.
It was a BEAUTIFUL day. A little too warm at 2:00 to hike a mile up a mountain. We even took Willie with us and I was expecting him to be a little tired on the way back down, but he wasn't. He was still at the end of his leash with my arm straight out being pulled down the mountain (and up the mountain) by a 18 pound dog!
We experienced a few set backs...a bee sting, poor Lauren. Will put his "ancient Chinese secret" concoction on it...mud and spit. It doesn't work, but it made Lauren feel better. Will squishing the wasp also helped with her pain. Emma was complaining up a storm most of the way up and pretty much ALL the way down. She vowed to never do it again, which led right into a lecture on how sometimes things are hard to do, and you don't like doing them but they make you stronger. She didn't care. She was hot and tired and wanted to stay on the mountain...forever.
I hardly saw Jay and Katie Jane. They were at the top waiting, for a while I'm sure. I was the last one up and the last one down. Not because my fat behind couldn't go very fast (that might have been part of it) but because Emma and Lauren's faces were so red and hot that we took it slow. FINALLY, a gene they inherited from me. The when-I-get-hot-my-face-turns-purple gene.
The worst part was as we were at the top, sitting on top of the Y, and we were cooling off and drinking our water and eating our yummy girl scout cookies...when I forgot that I put my camera in my lap and I straightened my legs and the camera bounced...
all.
the way.
down.
the Y.
Hitting on it's corners dozens of times.
All we could do was watch it tumble. No way to follow it down the HUGE, white, bumpy, steep Y. I was SICK!
Jay retrieved it once it came to a stop in the first patch of vegetation. He had to squish it back together. It would turn on, but not open the lens up...until I took my fingernails to it. Which is how I got the pictures of our hike.
The girls went to sleep over at Grandma B's with all the girl cousins...Tuttle's are visiting from Kansas...so Will, Jay and I went to dinner. We mingled with the village people. Villiage Inn people, that is. Jay's choice...but for once I was trying to not be hard to please. Once inside, I remembered why I don't like to go there. The same stale, smoky smell is in EVERY Village Inn that I've ever been to, even though there is no smoking allowed inside anymore...smoke clings and drags, people!
Glad to say, no pictures of dinner!
DSC01587, originally uploaded by julie Biesinger.

1 comment:

LeMira said...

I know what you mean! Don't you think Village Inns and Motel 6s just be next door to each other -- they smell the same!