Monday, December 20, 2010

Emma's Baptism

She belongs to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints!

She wore the skirt that her great-grandma Kunze made for her grandma Biesinger...got that?  Will's grandma Kunze made the skirt for Will's mom when she was baptized, just want to make that clear - the changing last name thing gets confusing sometimes.  

All Will's sisters and so far all the grand-daughters have worn the same white skirt to be baptized in.

Emma and her dad. 


Emma was really nervous but so excited.  I don't think any child knows what to expect before they get baptized.  Is my father going to drown me?  Will I be under water for 2 minutes??  The only thing I remember about my baptism is that Maryann Smith had to be baptized 2 or 3 times because her foot kept coming up out of the water, and I remember being in the dressing room getting dried off and hearing repeated splashes...how's that for a memory!  Don't remember a thing about my own.  Except maybe for what I wore.  That's a girl thing!

Every one of my childrens baptisms has been so emotional for me.  Actually, any baptism that I have been too has been emotional.  With all the hustle and hurry of the morning, I never think that I'm going to be able to feel the spirit during this very important ordinance (forgive me while I speak mormonese), but even Will had to pause before he baptized Emma.  My eyes filled with tears and I KNEW what an important thing Emma was doing at that moment.  To quote a  primary childrens' song..."the Spirit whispers this to me and tells me it is TRUE, and tells me it is TRUE!!"

I love that feeling!!

After she was baptized and I made my way into the dressing room with Emma, barely being able to see through my tear filled eyes, Emma was a chatter-box!  She talked non-stop as we got her into her very glittery red dress!  She told me how the water was warm and that she thought it was going to be different than it was.  I think maybe she thought that her dad WAS going to drown her and that she'd be under water for 2 minutes.  She commented about the songs we could hear our families were singing in the other room, she told me the names of them and then told me that the bathroom next to the dressing room stunk.  That's my EMMA!

She was giddy with excitement and couldn't wait for the next part.  Her confirmation.  Of course, Will did a wonderful job and I was so happy that my mom took notes and gave me a piece of paper with what Will said in the blessing.  I wish I would have learned short-hand and I could do that for others. 

The day went on to include a family gathering at our house with tons of food and then we went with some cousins to see a movie.  And I called the day a success because I didn't fall asleep during the movie...since I only got 2.5 hours of sleep the night before.  People coming to my house makes me nervous so sleep takes a back seat to dusting, cleaning and making sure my dad can't find anything with his white glove inspection!!

Another milestone passed for our family.  Now we're onto missions and marriages...my, how time goes so fast!!

We love Emma so much.  We're proud of her decision to be baptized and I know that she will be blessed because of her decision. 

No comments: