Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Life lessons of a 39 year old.

I still haven't transferred any pictures onto my new computer.  I went from knowing how to do almost everything, to knowing how to do almost nothing!!  BUT...Will got me photoshop for Christmas...my brain is spinning with all the things I can do, so I've done nothing.  I think I'm going to sign up for a class on how to use it!

These are some of the other things that have been swimming in my head...as I try to sleep...as I'm endlessly gliding on the elliptical...

I was holding my cute little niece, Emery and was right in her face trying to distract her from missing her conjoined twin...her mother...and I couldn't see her face!  It was blurry...it has begun...the time when I spend a lot of time on the reading glasses isle.

39 seems so young still.  At least to me...as much as I try NOT to be old, my body and face and skin and mental capacity don't care.  So, here are some things I've learned in my wise 39 years on this earth.  For my sake to remember what it was like to be this young, because I don't remember a lot from my 20's, which I consider to be a good thing, and my life is so full of great things that I'm sure my brain won't remember even next year.

Is there a vitamin to help retain brain retention???  Obviously by that sentence one can see that I need some help.

 - Spending 10 minutes every day plucking grey hairs out of my head doesn't make me less grey...it makes me more bald.  And I'm afraid I'm bordering on the OCD line of grey hair plucking!

- This isn't necessarily a life lesson, unless you consider it a lesson because of gained knowledge, but you know the saying...If you were stranded on a deserted island, what 1 cosmetic item would you want?  First, I understand that if I were on a deserted island, the last thing I would be worried about is putting on makeup, and second, I may have made that little survey up, but...it's the thought...in my younger years, my answer was ALWAYS lip gloss.  I could open my own lip gloss store from my purse, so of course that WAS my choice in this serious survey.

NOW...at this lovely age of 39...I don't think I could survive without lip gloss, mascara and concealer on a deserted island!

Oh, and tweezers!!!

- Dog throw up is just as bad as kid throw up.  I know.

- Driving lessons with teenagers is NOT easy.  Now I know why drivers ed teachers have a break pedal on their side of the car.  I guess it would help if Jay had ever paid attention to what I have been doing while I drive.  I always give little driving lessons while I drive---to the kids annoyance---but I don't think they care what the driver is doing and what pedal does what and where the turn signal is because they just want to get to where they're going.

Let's just say that my cute little car puffs out black smoke when you put it in neutral and push the gas pedal to the floor!!  YIKES!!!

Jay really did OK...and he's an awesome driver in the under 15mph category!  Can teenagers drive lawn mowers and golf carts to school??

 - Not everyone is going to like me.  As tough as it is for me to swallow that...it's true.  I'm a YES girl and would rather inconvenience myself than saying NO to someone who asks me for something.  How many times have I said that my life lives me instead of me living my life?  I'm trying to live my life one NO at a time.

-  If you can't say something nice...don't say anything at all.  Especially on a public blog.  You never know who reads your blabberings!  That little gem of a lesson is from personal experience.

-  It's okay to start your day with a few pieces of chocolate.  But it's not okay to start your day with a few pieces of chocolate if you're not going to go to the gym and if everything you eat contains butter the rest of the day.

-  Making my bed every morning keeps me sane.  Along with vacuuming and polishing my counter-tops. :/

I'm so grateful for these trivial lessons in my life.  I realize how lucky I am.  And until my car has a dent in it from my handsome son, Jay...I'll continue to feel lucky!

3 comments:

LeMira said...

This post made me smile and think about what I've learned at my age, and I'm finding I need tweezers for those annoying black hairs that keep coming back on my chin. ugh. . .

Jan said...

Thank you Julie.... I will stop being so cheap and stop pulling out my grey hair and just get it colored to prevent going bald.... I am grateful to know that I am the not the only one who struggles with "NO" you would think with children "NO" would just be a common answer. I too would take tweezer and lip gloss! I can't wait to read the blog entry on how to teach a teenager to drive I will save that for my near future as I am afraid my girls are growing up too fast. Now I know why I can't eat chocolate for breakfast.... Thank you Julie for your great post. I love to read them and nod my head Yes, I know what she means. Thanks for your great wisdom

Graciesmom said...

Julie, I loved this post. You have such a great way with words and writing down what a lot of us are feeling.
1- I, too, have recently broken down and bought reading glasses. Although, I only wear them at home when reading! Vanity does creep in :)
2- My hair hasn't been it's natural color in 20 years. I don't give those greys a chance to grow before I color them!
Good luck with the driver's ed :)