When I was in 9th grade, I had a very unfortunate run-in with a sewing machine. I don't remember how it happened, but all I remember is pulling my finger away quickly and looking at my middle finger and seeing the sewing machine needle going into the middle of my fingernail and coming out the other side.
The substitute teacher had a panic attack.
I think I would have responded the same. I pretty much guarantee that I would have had a panic attack too.
So me and sewing machines have a fear/love/hate relationship. I'm afraid of them, I love the end result, I hate all the time it takes to get something done when I could have just spend a few more dollars and bought the thing already made. Well made at that!! And anytime I have to use math without the aid of a calculator or an adding machine...it's never good. And I learned that doing the math correctly ensures that you order the right amount of fabric. Cell phone calculators are not the best tool to use as you're standing in line ordering the fabric while 12 other people stand behind in line and wait.
Katie's bedroom fabric came up short (I made it work), and I had over a yard of fabric left over from the family room project.
Answer...pillows!!
Will and I have been working on finishing up a few things in our family room. I haven't taken pictures of Will's contribution yet. It makes mine look elementary!! We have a big window with nothing on it and it's bugged me for a long time. Curtains just seem to make the room look more finished. Even with blinds...curtains still finish a room and make it feel 100% more cozy. I can't tell you how many times I have had numerous curtain panels in my "shopping cart" online and just couldn't bring myself to submit the order. I had a hard time committing to something I had to look at everyday that I couldn't test out beforehand.
So when we re-vamped Katie Jane's bedroom, I picked out some fabric I liked. Times like this I wish I had enough money to hire a designer. I would be their favorite.client.EVER. I'd just let them do whatever they wanted. Of course it could only be one of two of my favorite designers. I completely trust them and if I didn't like it, I would learn to like it because if they did it, it must be fabulous!!
They look much better in person. My sewing skills far exceed my photography skills. That's depressing!
After having to unpick the hem on three of the panels...I finally finished them. They're the perfect puddling length. That only happened by luck on my part. I even did grommets on the top, which turned out to be the easiest part. I love them and I'm sure I'll love them even more when the sun shines in that big window in the summer time and I can pull those curtains closed and enjoy the cool of the morning a little longer.
That, and hide a little easier. ;)
After having to unpick the hem on three of the panels...I finally finished them. They're the perfect puddling length. That only happened by luck on my part. I even did grommets on the top, which turned out to be the easiest part. I love them and I'm sure I'll love them even more when the sun shines in that big window in the summer time and I can pull those curtains closed and enjoy the cool of the morning a little longer.
That, and hide a little easier. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment