
Me and Nasir, one of our interpreters, teaching a class on how to conduct a BUB (Battle Update Brief) to the Battalion (Kandak) Staff and Company Commanders.

comment from Julie - it's the big metal building I was hoping Will would work in! Where are all the computers?

Lieutenant Colonel Safir, the Kandak Executive Officer. This is a “tank-of-a-man” that prides himself in his hand shake…its like a vice! Once he has your hand buried in his and clamped down, he shakes you like a rag doll…and then he laughs like Santa Claus.

another landscape picture…a view from “our back door”.

Durrant and, who he though was a German soldier because of his blond, curly hair, but come to find out, he is ANA and speaks only Dari. Through an interpreter, Durrant found out that this soldiers' birth father was a Soviet soldier, who when things got scary in Afghanistan in the '70's, picked up his family and fled the country only to have his son (this soldier) fall out of whatever they were driving. His family never came back for him and he was found on the road by an Afghani farmer who raised him. Amazing story!
2 comments:
Will.... Wow! it seems like forever. I hope all is well for you. I take great comfort in knowing you are there with "MasterChief" (Durrant) and also in knowing he is there with you. You are doing incredibly great things and writing history. I know for me it was tough at times but the local childrens smiles always cleared my vision.
Is there anything that you or Chcuk need? If so, let me know and you will get it.
I hope you are keeping that crusty 11B in line.
Crystal keeps trying to get Julie to come down but she keeps dodging the bullet...one day we will get her down here.
Keep your head down, your armor on and your eyes open and before you know it your mission will be over and all you will have is fading memories.
Will, you are truly a great American and it is an honor to call you freind.
You and Chuck shoot me an email @ sapper.johnson@us.army.mil.
Stay safe my freind and I will see you soon.
SFC Shane P "Sapper" Johnson
Almost forgot...tell Cpt Roberts hello for me also.
Stay safe all.
Post a Comment