Today we celebrated grandma Jane's 89th birthday. We had her birthday favorites, carrot cake and home-made ice cream - her recipes and everything! I even had an extra cup (or two - yikes!) of ice cream for her! Grandma loved birthdays and ALWAYS made a special cake for each of us on our birthday. I always loved her $1,000,000 cake - yummy chocolate cake with carmelized, chewy goodness (sometimes with nuts - some cakes and families have nuts) on top and frosted with whip cream (always whipped from scratch) SHE even made this cake for me when I was competing for FFA Queen in high school, which I didn't even come close to winning even though Will was the FFA President!! WHAT? It was supposed to be made by the girl competing, but grandma always did it best, so she helped me cheat! When she was bringing it up to me so I could take it to the competition, (I kind of sound like a spoiled brat right now!) she accidentally dropped it and it squished the cake - but not to worry! We just filled the void with extra whip cream!! Thanks grandma!
I will always remember her for working so hard at everything, even when she had every excuse to give up. It's her voice I hear when I start to feel sorry for myself while Will is gone. When we told her Will was deploying, she gave me a hug and said "you'll be just fine". I hear her tell me that daily now. So even though she's not with us in body, she is surely with us in spirit and we'll continue to celebrate her day! The Strong family is a strong family thanks to grandma Jane!

1 comment:
It was nice to see everyone.
Post a Comment