Thursday, August 27, 2009

First Day of School - 2009

WOW! I really can't believe that it's already time for school to start. I am so not ready! Even though they're all gone to school...ALL DAY, (play the Hallelujah chorus in your head here) I sure do enjoy the non-rushed mornings of summertime where hair didn't need to be combed - sometimes for days at a time - and breakfast could be had at 10:00 am instead of 7:00 am., and the kids had all day to accomplish something that could have taken them a mere 3 minutes.



Now, it's back to the daily question from me of..."have you finished your homework?". I hate that part about school! I ask one of them a question and they act like I should know the answer. I have to remind them...daily...that I'm not in class with them everyday and I don't hear what the teacher is asking them to do so it's their responsibility to FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS!


Jay and Katie Jane are both in Jr. High, which is more scary than kindergarten - for sure - as far as throwing your sweet, innocent children into a pool of peer-pressure and obnoxious behavior. Lauren is in 5th grade or how I look at it...science fair project age (ohhh, the dread!!) and Emma is now a full-time school girl! First grade baby! How would it be to have the question of what's for school lunch today? - be your top concern.

So, now my mornings are my own! It really is heaven! All I have to worry about is Willie chasing the ice cream truck or an unsuspecting jogger/biker that happens to pass by our quiet, childless home.

A quiet, childless home with a mom in it who is actually doing laundry and cleaning happily and eating breakfast on the couch, which is a no-no, while listening to 30's and 40's jazz and knowing that the word "MOM" will not be heard in her ears for at least 6 hours! Pure bliss!

Seeing my kids grow and learn is more rewarding than I could have ever imagined. I'm just glad that Will is here to help with the rewarding math/science part!

1 comment:

Jerbabe said...

I still remember those days after the kids left for school and the next thing I knew they were walking back in the door and I wondered where my day had gone. Cute kids!!