Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Have you ever seen...

...A baby boy so tiny that he disappears in your arms, and the car seat?

I'm sure Jay was not the smallest baby in the world - but for me...he was eentsy! I use dumbbells twice his size at the gym - for the easy stuff!

...A more fantastically cute grin?

Well, his fantastically cute grin has changed into a forced cheesy grin - which is why this is the only half-normal picture I could get of Jay "smiling".

The conversation was...

-just relax and smile like normal!!!
- I can't!!
- then think of something funny!
- Like what? (with eyebrows raised and said in sarcasm!)
- 'click', Jay at 14!



Someday, hopefully before my children have children, I will MAKE the birthday cake myself! I am the worst birthday party planner and thank goodness for my mom and her willingness to go to Costco at the last minute! This cake was breakfast for several days, but that's no surprise to anyone who knows me!

Jay has gone from too small to find baby clothes for, to too big and tall to afford clothes for! I think sometimes his growth spurts happened over night. But he's never been too big to give hugs and say "I love yous" even as he's getting out of the car on his way into school! 14 is such an awkward age too. In Jay's case - he's a little boy in a big boy's body...Legos and Star Wars video games can fill up his entire day! Girls still make him squirm (I'm using my mom-blinders, I'm sure) and any on-screen kiss is usually accompanied by a sigh and gag sound from Jay. And dressing himself in something that matches or even goes has not happened yet. He still forgets to comb his hair and NO COMMENT about his teeth brushing routine. But the other 14 year old attributes are well accounted for...dirty smelly room, check..., moody attitude, check...desire for a cell phone, check...teasing sisters ability, check.

It would be a "hot house of female emotion" without Jay here. His strong desire for a younger brother has been squelched by me and Will. But Jay sure adds some spice to our life, I think he's all the boy I could handle. I'm not a good "sports" mom - I can't handle the intenseness of victory vs. defeat which is why I am so glad that Jay has a positive, light-hearted attitude about sports. He's good at so many sports, but doesn't take them too seriously. He surprises me with maturity when I least expect it and can be quite the gentleman - except to his sisters, because that wouldn't be fun!

I love you so much, Jay and I'm afraid to blink for fear of missing something - time goes so fast! I'm so proud of your desire to do good and I love what a kind person you are. You're smart, funny and the greatest son I could have ever hoped for!

Happy 14th!

2 comments:

Brookie said...

Happy Birthday Jay!!

Traci said...

Happy Birthday from the Welburn Family! Miss you guys.