Friday, November 6, 2009

Oh, Front Yard Tree

This tree has been one of my major stresses in life. My dad says that my grandpa Jay planted this American Elm tree when they built this house over 50 years ago.

I love this tree.

I love the color of it's leaves - hence my bedroom color. I love looking through it's branches in the dark and seeing the huge American flag all lit up a few blocks away. The moon looks beautiful through it too. It's our air-conditioner. It completes our home. It's majestic and perfectly shaped. It's our family tree that we have taken family pictures in. I grew up with this tree.

And I'm so afraid that it will die under our care! Such pressure!

So we had a tree trimming company come out and give us a quote to trim it. Cha-Ching. I know $400 doesn't sound like a lot to some people, and I know that $400 is probably a good deal to trim this ginormous tree...but then I always remember who I am married to.

Will can do ANYTHING!



One lift rental, one borrowed chain saw, one borrowed harness and voila! Tree trimming by Will!

And, sorry he's not for hire!


Obviously this was done a while ago...like in September...there are no leaves on this tree anymore and all be beautiful green leaves turned to bright yellow and fell to the ground where our kids had a blast jumping and running through them. They did NOT have a blast raking them up though.


Worse comes to worse...we will stay warm thanks to this tree. It's kind of like the story "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein...except it doesn't grow apples and we won't be building a boat or a house out of it!
I had to rescue Willie a couple of times from falling branches. Willie tried to drag off some smaller branches a couple of times for ultimate 'go fetch'. He thinks he's so tough!

Will mostly trimmed the dead out of the tree. It was growing so far out over the road that when big trucks would drive by the top of the truck would scrape against the branches...those branches had to go! We had an awesome friend and neighbor helping out on the ground. I couldn't and still can't imagine me using a chain saw. I would if I needed to, but I already feel like I've done things that not a lot of other women would do - as far as yard work and machinery and home improvement goes, so I'll gladly bow out of that responsibility as long as someone else will do it!

And then...the very best, most wonderful, most exciting, joyful, hallelujah of a moment happened...




Will hacked this stinky, smelly, annoying Ginko Biloba tree to the nothings. He didn't cut it down, but he cut about 99.8% of the branches that were carrying the fruit. You think these little berries look innocent? Have you smelled one? Or maybe tried to mop the squished remains off of a floor or carpet, or tried to scrape the berries out of shoe crevices? They stink like vomit that smells like poop. Seriously.

They must be a curse that we brought onto this house, because before my Grandma Jane died, she came over to the house to watch her kitchen wall crumble as we were building the addition, and in order to get into the house we all had to tip-toe over around and through these wicked berries. She said that that tree had never fruited before...just my luck!

Good BYE stinky berries! Two truck AND trailer loads of branches and twigs and our beautiful majestic tree in our front yard looks better than ever. The Ginko tree looks pretty sad...but once the leaves grow back next spring...no one will notice!

2 comments:

Jason and Britney said...

I have a backyard tree that gives me nightmares! Seriously, on a windy night I have moved Grady from his bed to the couch just incase that tree falls over on the house! Our quote to have it removed was $2000!!! Where can you rent that lift???

Jerbabe said...

I have always loved that tree too! Good job Will!