Monday, November 2, 2009

What happened in Vegas...

I really don't understand why people flock here. Las Vegas is really a nasty, filthy, prey on weaknesses and habits kind of place. And if you're not into drinking alcohol and/or smoking and/or gaining 10 pounds for keeps in a weekend and/or reading the little cards that are constantly being passed out by children (you know the ones?) then there really is no reason to visit. BUT...if you get far enough away from the main strip, it's an okay place!

Will bought tickets to see U2 clear back in April. And the trip finally happened last month! Me and Will alone was the best part!!! I read an entire book on the trip down and back too. That's a first for me. I even liked the book so much and wanted to finish it so bad that I fished Will's head lamp flash light out his I'm-always-prepared-for-an-emergency backpack...must be a soldier thing. (Looking for a good book? Read "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" LOVED IT!)



Will was so excited to go. I really was to, but I think my age is getting to me. I was worried about the drive back to St. George we were making that night after the concert, and my broken toe was/is still hurting and I wasn't thrilled about sitting for more than 2 hours and I'm not an expert in U2 songs, and the kids, and are we going to get lost. You know, all the whinny complaining kind of things that I'm good at.
lots of people...lots. And it turned out that I shouldn't have worried about what I was wearing. All the girls wearing tops that were barely tops and shoes they were teetering in and shirt dresses with belts and big bellies, made it so no one was looking at this mom of 4 wearing jeans and gym shoes - it's all about comfort, folks!

We got inside and tried to take some pictures with our ancient phones. I wanted to bring my camera in, but I'm glad I didn't. The less to worry about the better. And I didn't need to worry about someone breaking into our car because our seats for the concert were the second from the top row and we could look out over the fence and see Will's truck...we might have actually been closer to the truck than the stage, but we heard ALL the awesome music!

Will and the parking lot!

ancient phone pic!
U2 was AWESOME! We loved it. Even though Bono was a spec in the distance - thank goodness for the jumbo screen. U2 is a class act (unlike the opening act). And even though we may not have looked like we were enjoying it as much and didn't dance as beautifully as all the completely drunk people around us. We did...and we remembered it the next day, too! I could not BELIEVE how much people drank? Is the alcohol content lower in NV than in UT? Or did I just exit my bubble for a while?

Great opportunity to people watch!

Black Eyed Peas opened and were okay. I always think that I'm being a little prudish when people start to throw around the f bomb. Hi! I'm Julie and I'm a prude and I'm glad! Like they're so cool and they can be so much cooler if they say the f word some more. But I decided that people who talk that way don't have the ability to use their brain to think of a word that actually describes what they're talking about instead of using a word that basically means 'blank' and is a filler. No thought. So they lost my interest a little into their show. Music sounded good, but no brain cells...typical for most famous people!)

My most memorable moment was the song 'Where the Streets Have No Name'. Gave me chills. Too bad all the drunks around us won't remember it!

I have a great life!

1 comment:

The Olsons said...

I think it looks like fun! Dan and I went to a little concert in Salt Lake to see Martin Sexton. No one knows who he is and there couldn't have been more than 200 people there but we had such a great time! It's always fun to get out together to do something different. And something fun that you will be able to remember! I love reading about your adventures, you always make me smile!