I know it's lame that I remember lines from the movie Top Gun. But what high school girl didn't swoon over Tom Cruise back then? Mmmmmm...the volleyball scene! We were so young and naive.
But back in this life...Will had a childhood friend named Peter F. In fact, this same Peter F. was the first boy I ever slow danced with in Middle School. I think I've shared that story before, right? The slow dancing where no touching was involved? Yup! That was Peter. I'm sure he could never dream of remembering something like that...but my brain remembers stuff like that. Anyway, he was Will's best friend until Peter and his family moved to SLC in about 8th grade. (right Will?)
Will has kind of kept in touch with Peter - probably wants to be called Pete, I bet - who has really made a name for himself in the Air Force. Will always remembered that Peter wanted to be an astronaut some day...and the fact that Peter is now flying a $250 MILLION dollar plane speaks for his accomplishments. A few weeks ago Peter told Will that he would be flying one of the new Air Force F22 Raptors (the same $250 MILLION dollar plane) over the U of U vs. Air Force game in SLC. I'm not into knowledge of Air Force equipment, but this new F22 is new and impressive...has stealth capabilities etc. and yada yada yada. Will wanted to go watch and possibly see the air craft (it's not really an air plane...) up close, but we were gone to Las Vegas for the U2 concert that weekend.
So because Will has awesome friends that do neat stuff, Peter called Will and told him that he would do a fly over our house on his way back to his base. (I'm impressing myself with how much detail information I am withholding for Will's peace of mind. Are you proud of me honey?) Exciting!
But back in this life...Will had a childhood friend named Peter F. In fact, this same Peter F. was the first boy I ever slow danced with in Middle School. I think I've shared that story before, right? The slow dancing where no touching was involved? Yup! That was Peter. I'm sure he could never dream of remembering something like that...but my brain remembers stuff like that. Anyway, he was Will's best friend until Peter and his family moved to SLC in about 8th grade. (right Will?)
Will has kind of kept in touch with Peter - probably wants to be called Pete, I bet - who has really made a name for himself in the Air Force. Will always remembered that Peter wanted to be an astronaut some day...and the fact that Peter is now flying a $250 MILLION dollar plane speaks for his accomplishments. A few weeks ago Peter told Will that he would be flying one of the new Air Force F22 Raptors (the same $250 MILLION dollar plane) over the U of U vs. Air Force game in SLC. I'm not into knowledge of Air Force equipment, but this new F22 is new and impressive...has stealth capabilities etc. and yada yada yada. Will wanted to go watch and possibly see the air craft (it's not really an air plane...) up close, but we were gone to Las Vegas for the U2 concert that weekend.
So because Will has awesome friends that do neat stuff, Peter called Will and told him that he would do a fly over our house on his way back to his base. (I'm impressing myself with how much detail information I am withholding for Will's peace of mind. Are you proud of me honey?) Exciting!
Of course we called some family and told them to watch...and me, Will and my bro Ryan (who wanted to see flips and tricks done in this $250 MILLION dollar plane over the housetops and in between commerical air planes) sat on our roof and waited for the planes to go over our heads. We had our fingers on the record buttons ready to push record because we knew it would be over in mere seconds, but didn't know how low Peter was going to be able to fly.
So we waited...and waited...and I took some pictures from our roof. Beautiful perspective!
So we waited...and waited...and I took some pictures from our roof. Beautiful perspective!
Looking to the North...where we were expecting the planes to come from...
and then, with my perfect vision eyes - thanks to Hoopes! - I saw two tiny specs to the North in the distance...You could hear them, but not really see them. Without the camera I could see their shape and you could tell that they weren't planes that normally flew over, but with the camera they looked like tiny dots. I'm sure they were obeying rules and couldn't get any closer...how cool would that have been?
I blew up this picture a lot so you could see them. It was really cool. Peter texted Will and told him that he lit up the backburners for him...what a rumble!
Thanks Pete! "U R Awesome!!"
3 comments:
You do have cool friends... I'm sure he remembers that slow dance! I loved that movie, well I LOVE that movie still. Another movie that your post reminds me of is Red Dawn. I don't know why my parents ever let me watch that movie. Still to this day, when military jets fly over I think that the Russians are about to invade! Never have I thought, "Oh, it's just some guy flying over his friends house!".
That is SO COOL!
It must be great to know that was all for you! Salute!!
Post a Comment