Wednesday, March 17, 2010

He felt the need...

The need, for some speed.

Which he didn't really get, but still pretty good, I'd say.  Out of 32 racers, Jay's car came in at #10.  

His grandpa Biesinger helped him get the car all ready and with the cool car shape because Will, again, misses another pinewood derby.  Jay said his grandpa even got into the mathematics (I think that's what Jay said) of why this car shape is good for speed.  Jay was really excited and knew exactly what color he wanted to paint it.  Good thing we had the spray paint color he wanted because the only other colors besides white, black and silver...was hot pink.  Don't ask me why we have hot pink spray paint. 


Having to be all "regulation" and all, the cars cannot be any heavier than 5 oz.  We weighed Jay's right before he left and it was 5.6 oz.  Dang.  When Will's dad makes something, he makes it solid.  So trying to drill out .6 oz. of solid lead...with a screw all imbedded inside...was a chore.  I tried to do it with the scissors at first.  That wasn't a good idea.  I just sent Jay on his way and his church leaders helped him with the rest.

I still don't like having to deal with these types of things alone.  Dinner is enough for me to think about...digging lead out of a pinewood derby car put me over the edge.  BUT...at least I didn't have to get the saw or the whatever you use to cut a rectangle block of wood into a car shape!  THANKS JIM!

Good job, Jay!

So, here you go Will.  Looks good, huh?

No comments: