Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Too.Much.Stuff.

Not.Enough.Time.

This was our ski weekend at Sundance. Sans our beloved broken-boy, Jay. (two weeks left in the cast!)

I took this picture with my phone as the girls and Will took me through the "Magical Forest". Magical my foot! It was the "Magical Forest of steep hills and sharp, narrow turns".

So being the pre-beginner skier that I am, it was very scary for me. I had just finished my first ski lesson (don't laugh) and I didn't have the "protection" of my ski instructor and his guidance in telling me how to lean and where to point my knees and such. So there are my girls...yelling at me from the bottom of each hill, "come on mom, you can do it!" and "mom, watch!" I had to keep telling (okay, yelling) them to go on without me and to stop asking me to watch them because I was trying to not fall or twist my knee in a direction it shouldn't go.

I was so impressed with my girls. Emma is "good" or "gooooood" as she proclaims herself. No fear. Katie and Lauren were going UP hills and making beautiful turns and swerving around all the maniac-crazy snowboarders/skiers who were going, like 100 mph!! I was putt-putting along doing my turns, as I had just learned, and living in an anxious-fear of being plowed by someone coming downhill. Will would wait for me at a corner, and as I would get close he would go off the edge and take the faster, steeper way down. He's a natural, too.

Seriously, there were so many people whizzing by me that I was having a panic attack. Will kept telling me, in a nice way, that the faster you go the more control you have - or in my looney head I interpret that as - go faster because you're a hazard!

Do they let you ride the lift down?

So, I kind of ruined the run by being stressed. Will was being all romantic and he was so excited at my attempt to be a "ski bunny" and my girls were pointing out faces in the trees and laughing and going through little magical forest-type paths, and I was following the afternoon ski school class full of little kids down the hill. And even those kids were kicking my trash!

One more lesson to go. I think I'll be better next time. My instructor told me that I did great...I only fell 3 times, not hard, but it was the only thing I could think of to do to stop myself from careening down the mountain. And then to make me feel more like a loser, Will and the girls went to the top, the TOP, did I say the TOP? of the mountain and skied down while I rested my tight, tired legs.

I am so proud of my kids. As I slowly made my way down the mountain, looking up every once in a while to enjoy the views, I was thinking about how wonderful my kids are. I'm starting to realize that they can do things WITHOUT me. I don't have to be present for everything to go right. They are becoming more and more independent. It kind of makes me sad. When I think back at all the things they have accomplished without me, the things that I have pushed them into, I'm realizing that another "stage" of my life with my kids is ending.

I think about last summer when Jay, Katie Jane and Lauren went to Texas to a summer camp. When Lauren told me that they had checked their heads for lice, I was so upset! How traumatic, I thought. Or when I dropped Emma off at pre-school and there was no pre-school that day (what an awesome mom) and she had remembered our phone number and called me from an empty, child-proof-doors pre-school house, crying...hysterically. I should have been there for them to let them know that everything was going to be okay. But I wasn't. And they were just fine.

Now they're speeding past me on two sticks and telling me to enjoy the ride!

I think I got more than a ski lesson.

No comments: