I remember watching TV back in 1991, when soldiers were leaving home for Desert Storm in Iraq. I cried and cried AND CRIED when I would watch stories of soldiers leaving their families on the news. I couldn't imagine how hard that would be and also how joyous the reunion would be...looking back, I KNEW in my heart that I would experience that in my life...I KNEW it!
So...this morning at 3:55, I grudgingly wrapped that dang old silver necklace with one of Will's dog tags attached to it, around my neck for the duration of his deployment. I've only taken it off maybe 5 times since he's left. It's been such a permanent part of me for so long. I even wore it while he was home these past 2 weeks. I only took it off yesterday.
I didn't miss its clinking on my jacket zippers, or getting snagged on my wash cloth in the shower, or not allowing me to wear any cute, fun Sallie Jean charms...which caused an annoying clinking every time I took a step!! I didn't miss forgetting that it reminds me almost constantly that he's not with me.
But when I have it on....he is with me! Thus - clink away!!!
I went to the gate with him this morning. He told me my eyes were so red from crying that he was worried about me driving home and told me to sleep in the parking garage for a while before I drove home. I would rather not have to pay $3/hour to sleep! (we went to bed at 1:30, or he did anyway...my mind had 1 million things to spin through instead of sleeping, and then we woke up at 3:30 to leave at 4:00.) I know that I make him worry when I cry. It's hard to explain, but there is almost a physical heart break when he leaves. Has anyone else had that happen to them?
Me and my red eyes drove home - alone - trying to rationalize buying a diet coke at 6:30 in the morning, but resisting the temptation even though I knew I would find a pink cookie close by too.
I know I'll be busy with the holidays and all the retail therapy that comes along with them, and the fact that it's only 108 days, or 15 & 3/7 weeks, or 3 3/4 months away....does make it seem easier, but it's still not easy. The kids had a harder time saying good bye to him last night than they did when he left the first time. It was heartbreaking again!
My eyes are still red, no matter how many drops I put in them. I think my tears had rocks in them or something. Will is somewhere in the air on his way to Kuwait, then back "home" as he accidentally called it yesterday, to Afghanistan.
Grandma Jane is whispering to me "you can do it, you'll be just fine".
I know. When tissues and paper towels just can't keep up with the tears...get a towel!
10 comments:
Hugs to you Julie... we love you and are crying with you. I'm missing my missionary too. I know, it's not the same but 6 months and 3 weeks to go till he comes home! Maybe we should make paper chains!
I really thought about you today, not knowing today was the day. Hang in there! Love you!
I think I kind of know what you mean. Brian leaves in 7 hours.
Love you, Julie.
I'm sure saying goodbye the second time would be much harder! I'm glad you guys got to enjoy a couple weeks with him home. Know our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. HUGS!
Julie, it was so good to see you guys and your family. I have been thinking about you since we left and hope you are hanging in. The second time to say goodbye would also do me in. Love you. Hang in and if you need to come out to Montrose to get away PLEASE come anytime!
Hang in there. I'm so glad you had a good vistit. Time will fly.......You'll see!!!
Oh Julie...
You and your family are in so many thoughts and prayers. My heart breaks for you as I read your entries. If it helps, the other day I told my mom I wish I could be more like you.
Emily
You are amazing! You guys are always in my thoughts and prayers! I love your entries...they always mix up my emotions! I can only imagine how it would be. I am a girl who has no life...so if you ever need anything, I am not too far. Give me a call! :) xx
Crying again! Julie, you amaze me! Your sacrifice and your families sacrifice touch my heart.
(And I would justify the Diet Coke at 6:30 a.m.!!!)
Julie,
Good morning??!!
I just spent the last 2 hours reading your blog, and crying.
You break my heart!!
You are so brave! So together, so awesome!! I love you and I am so proud of you and I WISH there was something that I could do to make the wait end, and did I mention that I am so proud of you, for all you are and all you do and all you stand for. My prayers and love are right next door and were already constant, but now will increase. You amaze me.
Much Love! Pat
Post a Comment