Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Freddy the Pheasant!

We have a peeping-freddy!


My grandma Jane used to sit at her kitchen table and look into her backyard at all the birds. She loved it! She would talk about the quail family and the doves and the she even said there was a pheasant living back there.

Well, this winter, Freddy...as the kids have named him, made his appearance! Much to the annoyance and frustration of William Wallace!

This particular morning we found Freddy perched on our front window ledge. I'm sure he was giving me a hint to take the Christmas tree down...he was giving me "the sarcastic bird-look". "Are you serious? You still have your Christmas tree up? Can I nest in it?"

I took the tree down that day...because I wanted/needed to for my own sanity, and because I had a bird who was trying to get in so he could sit in it!

I feel that Freddy has just as much right to be in the backyard as Willie does, but Willie doesn't agree and gets himself in trouble with all the barking and smearing of dog saliva on the back window.

Willie gets to be a voyeur of Freddy's life almost daily...from the distant back door!

I've become...a bird lady...a bird watcher...

two-pence a bag! (but said with Mary Poppins flair and accent!)

3 comments:

Graciesmom said...

I love it! We have had many pheasants take up residence in our yard. One took to pecking at our glass door at his reflection. It was quite amusing.

A Few Tacos Shy... said...

We had one hanging out on our fence a few weeks ago. So beautiful! Of course my boys thought it would be a good idea to shoot it and eat it...

Cassie said...

Your blog is so entertaining.