Saturday, July 12, 2008

Home Sweet Freaking Hot & Windy Home

Will sent some pictures of his new home and his first trip to "undisclosed". It's taken me a while to get them off the document he attached them to, so he's already gone a second time and come back. I decided that I'm going to stop complaining about my minuscule problems. I've got it pretty good!
This first pic is a picture of me in my ‘room’. You can see Emma’s wall of art behind me and my rug that I bought at the bazaar. It was cheep but its nice. I’ll probably try to bring it home. You can see my poncho that I pull closed for privacy to my left. This is just as we were leaving for the field last week.
Me on top of the hill at the site of our project.
The result of high winds that drove us down by the river! We spent one night there, battling the wind, sand and heat and then moved off the plateau down by the river. So now the joke is that we've moved to a "Humvee DOWN BY THE RIVER on a steady diet of government MRE's"
I told you about the little kids (mostly girls) that were gathering pine needles. They so deeply impressed me. I don’t know what it was about them…Enchanting! We were complaining about the wind the other day. It ALWAYS blows where we’re operating. When it gusts it picks up silty sand and cakes you with it. Frustrating at times. Then, it occurred to me that if the wind didn’t blow, the pine needles would stay in the trees longer making it impossible for the kids to gather them. I felt a strong impression that the Lord is mindful of these little ones and provides for them to the best the circumstances will allow! He loves all His children!

Will wrote to Katie and Lauren: Little girls doing their ‘twice daily’ chore of gathering pine needles for fuel. They don’t have electricity or water or natural gas in their house. Actually their house is an old bombed out Russian building…not really a house. Their mom burns the pine needles to heat up water for bathing and for cooking their meals. Pine needles burn very fast so they have to gather a lot of them! There aren’t enough trees left to cut down to burn for fuel, either. They work very hard.Will said to Emma: I thought of you when I saw this little girl. I thought she was cute. Her mommy doesn’t have time nor does she have a clean place to wash her hair and make it all pretty. They have to spend all their time working so they can stay alive and prepare for the cold winter. We are very lucky to have a clean home and time to enjoy easy things in life.
Julie says: I think this is so amazing. My kids complain when I ask them to pick up a paper cup and throw it away! Do we realize how spoiled we are?

No comments: