our MOST EXCITING Fourth of July EVER....not quite! Me and the kids got free tickets to the Stadium of Fire in Provo. We were going to be with other military families and be part of the "program". Well, there were 2000 other military family memers in the "program"!!! Free tickets.
They had us wait for almost 2 hours in the baseball stadium across the street from the football stadium. Not good for my lovely children's attitudes! I took pictures of all of them, but Jay erased his without me knowing because I got a picture of him sticking his tongue out at Katie - NICE! Notice Jay's totally FORCED smile! Free tickets.
Katie Jane didn't complain at all! It was HEAVENLY!




Lauren was really good too!
Emma was a 5 year old, need I say more?
And then they wanted us to get from across the street from the baseball field across the street to the football stadium, to the totally opposite side (the NE corner) of the stadium in 2 minutes!! We RAN, with Emma in her $2 flip-flops from Walmart, which kept falling off while she complained that she was tired, and me trying to keep track of my other three kids in the midst of "Miley Cyrus" crazed military families who were going to get there first!!! This is why I go to the gym! After RUNNING for about 5 minutes, sweat dripping down my back, Emma complaining that she can't see anything and Jay with his HORRIBLE 13 year old attitude - WHAT'S WITH THAT!!. we finally get to the gate and we wait for another 45 minutes! Free tickets.
That didn't help the attitude of ANY of the kids. They were mad that we were missing the parachuters and the horses and the dancers and all the good stuff basically, while we stood outside the stadium next to the vendors selling their $8.75 corndog and $6.25 bag of popcorn and the much desired $30 Hannah Montana T-shirt! WHAT? So after holding Emma on my hip (my hips are big, but not big enough to hold a 5 year old for 30 minutes) we finally get into the stadium, did anyone even see us? I don't think so! "You will be on camera!" had my 9 year old terrified! She had stage fright! It's still total chaos, and we find a place on the field to put the blanket. Free tickets.
Ahhhh, time to enjoy the show. NOT! We were behind the scafolding and techno crap stuff and we couldn't even see the stage. We only could see what was going on by watching the big screen TV's they had on the sides of the stage. Free tickets.
Kids complaining STILL! Lauren is crying because she can't see, Jay is still...nevermind, and Emma is crying too because she's tired and can't see. I lifted Emma up so she could "catch a glimpse" of HM, which seemed to appease her. Katie was having fun. We were yelled at and told to sit down from some of the other lovely, friendly, patriotic, stab-you-in-the-back military families. So, we basically saw the whole show from SITTING on our blanket watching TV! Couldn't we have done that from home? Free tickets!
I had Jay go up as close as he could to try to get a picture of HM, this is what he was able to get. Good enough for me!!
Blue Man Group was a lot of fun! They were really interactive and fun to watch. The kids really got into their show. Unfortunately they didn't play for very long. I was excited for the fireworks, though. I thought the kids would be loving it and be amazed at how HUGE and loud they can be. Well...I was wrong. We had cinders falling all over us and smoke was really heavy and there were chunks of fire-work-wrappers falling all around us. I thought it was AWESOME! I love fireworks. You just brush the ashes off and keep your eyes a little closed so nothing gets in them, and enjoy the show! Did I mention something about my children having bad attitudes? Enough said.
Did you know they send subliminal messages in the fireworks?
So the walk back to the truck and the sitting in the truck in the sitting-still traffic wasn't any more positive for my children! What have I raised? I had a great time eating leftover licorice from Lake Powell and listeing to "my favorites" on my i-pod. Emma and Lauren fell asleep and Jay and Katie attached the USA flags onto the truck windows. I pulled a couple of firework chunks out of my hair and drove along side a beautiful convertible BMW. One hour later (we live 10 minutes away...free tickets), home....bed! Next year, we're leaving the kids home and me and Will are going to make-out under the fireworks somewhere! Something to look forward to!!
2 comments:
Remember "nothing in life is FREE"
but it will be a good memory someday.
Oh Julie...you are killing me. I'm convinced that you should be a writer of something that everyone gets to read. Again, may you be blessed with comfort and strength throught the next several months. You are an incredible Mom. And by the way...I wish that my blog was half as cool as yours.
Post a Comment